Word describing gemstones

< Previous | Next >


New Member
Hello everyone,

I am trying to find the word about gemstones in general. I want to refer to the cracks inside the gem itself. It is pretty hard to describe, as you can imagine, inside every gem as ruby, or sapphire, or emerald, we can see some small parts with different colors, mostly lighter and reflective under light, which make the stone look like it is cracked.

Any of you know what do English people title this seemingly crack? Please share it to me.

Thank you.
  • Marylou2

    New Member

    I think you already know what I mean, is it simply called as "fracture"? They look like fractures, but they do not separate the stone, the stone itself remains a consistent structure.


    Senior Member
    Fracture is the best I can think of, but perhaps there is some better word. I'm not exactly familiar with the gemstoners' jargon. :D

    By the way, I don't think there's anything wrong with you intitial word - a crack. Please wait for more suggestions, though.
    < Previous | Next >