word for night meal

S.M Ahsanul Irfan

Bangla
If breakfast is for morning, lunch is for midday, What word can I use for night meal?

Can I use "Dinner" also for night meal what we eat every day formally?

Last edited:
  • dojibear

US English
    "Supper" is the evening meal. Breakfast, lunch, supper.

"Dinner" is the biggest meal of the day. In the US, that is often supper. But for some people, it is lunch.

pob14

American English
    If I understand the question correctly, I think “midnight snack” would apply. (In my usage, it doesn’t have to be as small as something we would usually call a “snack,” but maybe that’s just me.)

Hermione Golightly

British English
    I know. I'm just trying to work out what you mean by 'night meal' and why you seem to think supper or dinner isn't suitable. There are no other terms.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    If breakfast is for morning, lunch is for midday, What word can I use for night meal?
    I assume you aren't asking about a meal eaten in the middle of the night.

Breakfast, lunch and dinner are commonly used for the morning, midday and evening meals. That's what they are called in hotels and restaurants.

Dinner is usually a full, cooked meal, but many people will eat a lighter meal in the evening (especially if their main meal is at midday) and they may call it supper.

lingobingo

English - England
    The other term you can use for dinner or supper is the “evening meal” (just as you can call lunch your “midday meal”), but there’s no such standard expression as morning meal or night meal.