word help

COLsass

Hey all, I'm trying to remember this word that basically means "information that will ruin the ending for you." So if there's an article for example it will say:

Warning this article contains *@(*&!. Anyone have any idea of this word I'm talking about because it's driving me crazy. It usually refers to ruining the ending of a movie, i.e. giving away the twist, etc.

Thanks!

• river

U.S. English
    I agree with Kelly B. I've heard "spoiler warning" meaning "this might ruin it for you."

timpeac

English (England)
    emma42 said:
    I can't say I'm not hurt. Do you think (re "spoiler") that it's a generation thing?
    Not sure - you do see it a lot surfing the net. An good example that springs to mind is where you read a review of a film and people who review it but give away some important plot point doing so should write "spoiler" at the start of the review.

Tatzingo

English, UK
    emma42 said:
    I can't say I'm not hurt. Do you think (re "spoiler") that it's a generation thing?

Emma,

No offence intended!! It's a word that's usually applied to movies, referred to in magazines such as Total Film. I wouldn't be surprised if the word came from Hollywood itself! It could also apply to books i suppose... if i were to tell you the ending to the Harry Potter series, I'd be spoiling it for you!

Tatz.

coconutpalm

Chinese,China
    Tatzingo said:
    Emma,

No offence intended!! It's a word that's usually applied to movies, referred to in magazines such as Total Film. I wouldn't be surprised if the word came from Hollywood itself! It could also apply to books i suppose... if i were to tell you the ending to the Harry Potter series, I'd be spoiling it for you!

Tatz.
    It would be a big surprise!
    I always run to the ending of a book when I start it and know I will be interested in it!
    You will never be a spoiler for me this way!

maxiogee

Banned
    English
    It's not generational, I'm older than emma42 and I know it.
    It's a neologism alright, but it is all over the web.