word + le or +lo or +me

< Previous | Next >

SharonF

USA, English
Hi All,

Could someone help me understand the rules around constructing words that end in 'me' or 'le' or 'lo'? For instance, to say "tell her" or "help me" I THINK???? you combine the verb (?what form?) plus one of these endings (when and why?).

I keep running into occassions where it appears this is going on but I haven't encountered any information about how all that works. I don't even know what to call it in order to do a search on it!

Any help in sorting this out would be most appreciated. :)

Thanks a million,

Sharon

• Edwin

USA / Native Language: English
    SharonF said:
    Hi All,

Could someone help me understand the rules around constructing words that end in 'me' or 'le' or 'lo'? For instance, to say "tell her" or "help me" I THINK???? you combine the verb (?what form?) plus one of these endings (when and why?).

I keep running into occassions where it appears this is going on but I haven't encountered any information about how all that works. I don't even know what to call it in order to do a search on it!

Any help in sorting this out would be most appreciated. :)

Thanks a million,

Sharon

That's a very tall order! Sort of like saying explain to me how to speak Spanish. I suggest that first you consult one or more Spanish textbooks designed to teach Spanish to beginners. Then if you have some more specific problem those on this forum may be able to help.

Rayines

Castellano/Argentina
    I give you a short answer. This is a complex subject for learning Spanish.
    But, these are pronominal forms that replace the Direct or the Indirect Object.

Tell her: Dile (Indirect Object)
    Buy it: cómpralo (masculino)/cómprala(femenino) (Direct Object)
    Look at me: mírame(Direct Object)

Generally, "le" replaces the I.O.
    "la", "lo", replace the D.O.
    "me", "te", can be D. or I. O.

They can be added to the verbs, like in the examples above, or be in onother place of the sentence:

Ella "le" dijo.
    El cliente "lo" compró

< Previous | Next >