Word of the Day

Discussion in 'Comments and Suggestions' started by Copyright, Oct 23, 2015.

1. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    It's probably just me, but I dislike "Word of the Day" – not just on WordReference, but everywhere.

On WR, I do my best to ignore it, but whenever I check for previous threads or dictionary definitions, there's the blue box, asking me to subscribe. The unfortunate thing is that there's no check box for "Don't ever show me this again because it takes up too much screen real estate on my iPhone and iPad" – there's only a Subscribe! clicker with an email box above it.

It would be nice to be able to turn this feature off permanently.

2. mkellogg Administrator

South Florida
    English - US
    This Word of the Day isn't even aimed at native speakers like yourself.

I hadn't planned on that hovering "ad" to be there for too long, but we might give it an X to click on to get it to go away.

3. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    That would be lovely, Mike. My problem with it is screen real estate, as I mentioned.

4. Language Hound Senior Member

American English
    That would be nice. I find it distracting.

5. velisarius Senior Member

Greece
    British English (Sussex)
    I like the word of the day feature, I think it's very nicely presented. Are there plans for it to be extended to any other languages? I would subscribe to that.

6. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    Like a waiter asking if you'd like to order a drink ... every time he comes to your table. :D

7. velisarius Senior Member

Greece
    British English (Sussex)
    OK I find it a bit annoying because it catches my eye even though I know it's there. I meant that the contents are nicely presented. The illustration is a useful aide-memoire and the explanations are good. I hope we are getting enthusiastic feedback from learners.

8. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    Yes, the contents are nice ... now that I've actually clicked one and had a look. It's the tiny billboard that's a bit of a gnat. :)

9. Silverobama

Silverobama Senior Member

Chongqing
    Chinese,Cantonese,Sichuan dialect
    I wonder if the example sentences below the "word of the day" are natural or just some sentences from unreliable sources?

Thanks a lot

10. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    You're on WordReference – no one is picking sentences from "unreliable sources."

If you ever doubt them, you can ask in the English Only forum, but I just checked today's word – wholeheartedly – and the three sentences are fine. Keep in mind that some sentences will be found more often in writing than speech, and some sentences may be better suited for formal or casual contexts.

11. Silverobama

Chongqing
    Thanks a lot, Copy. :)

12. perpend

perpend Banned

American English
    A word of the day is like having an apple a day, when presented well, even if from a student.

A welcome feature, for me.

13. merquiades

merquiades Senior Member

France
    USA Northeast
    I love the new feature and hope it can be extended to other languages soon. Personally I actually like the reminder. I prefer that to getting an email. I don't know what it looks like on a cell/smartphone but on my computer it's just conveniently in the lower left corner. Maybe the problem can be solved by clicking it away for those that don't care for the feature versus leaving it for those who want it to stay.

14. mkellogg Administrator

South Florida
    English - US
    Hi everybody,

I am glad the Word is getting a good reception. :) We are trying to get as much figured out now before we expand to other languages and other proficiency levels.

Merquiades, we are working on a smartphone app for this that will provide notifications. I hope to have it ready in a couple of weeks.

15. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    Hi Mike ... huge thanks for the X on the box. :) Much appreciated.

16. Language Hound Senior Member

American English
    Hi, Mike!

Thank you so much for adding the X.
    I now just click on it to close the box and reclaim my screen.

17. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    And you only have to click it once to make it stay away forever. :thumbsup:

18. Language Hound Senior Member

American English
    I didn't realize that, but now that I think of it, the box has not reappeared since I clicked on the X. :)

19. xuliang Senior Member

China
    Chinese Mandarin
    Hi, all. May I know where "word of the day" is. I would be interested in it, but haven't found it. Thank you.

By the way, is there an application I can have in my mobile to see "English Only" forum more conveniently? I entered the forum by entering the site address, but it was not so convenient.

Thank you.

20. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    If you enter a word in the Search box and then hit Enter, it should appear as a small blue box and you can subscribe.

I don't know about a mobile app, but someone else will, I'm sure.

21. Silverobama

Chongqing
    Bingo! WR does have an APP for cellphone users. So, do you use Android or APPSTORE, whichever you use, you are going to download it in either of those stores. Try "Wordreference" to see whether you can find it.

22. xuliang Senior Member

China
    Chinese Mandarin
    Hi, Silver. Thank you. I use Android. I only found "WR dictionary" in a Chinese application center. I prefer the forum, "English Only Forum".

I am wondering why WR dose not make it public on the website, so that someone can download it.

23. Silverobama

Chongqing
    You can try download the "WR dictionary" and see whether you can see our forum. It's based on the system of an online dictionary.

I believe Mike was meticulous when programmed this APP, trust me. You first can only see a dictionary then you can use "ask in the forum" link.

Try and report it to me.

24. xuliang Senior Member

China
    Chinese Mandarin
    I found it now. Thank you very much. It will be very useful when I don't want to turn on my computer.

25. Silverobama

Chongqing
    You're very welcome, my friend.

You know, I use it all the time, yes, it's convenient, but be careful when you ask questions. It's a bit complicated or annoying for us to underline a phrase or word; the screen to too small and sometimes the keyboard disappears.

26. ain'ttranslationfun? Senior Member

US English
    Except, of course, if you are allergic to, or even simply don't like, apples...:D

27. Shiroiookami Member

French
    Hello, this morning I noticed there isn't the word of the day.

28. bloom221 Member

Burgos, Spain
    Español - España
    Does anyone know what happened with this? I liked the idea.

29. swift

swift Senior Member

Spanish – Costa Rica (Valle Central)
    Hi,

WordReference’s WOTD was suspended for the holidays. :) A nice note was sent to all subscribers on December 18 → Word of the Day Suspended for the Holidays. But don’t worry, it will be back!

Regards,

swift

30. a_menudo

a_menudo Banned

Poland
    Polish
    Has the Word of the Day been resumed? The holidays are over and I'm still not getting anything. :( Does anyone?

31. bloom221 Member

Burgos, Spain
    Español - España
    We'll have to wait until late this month ;)

32. wildan1

wildan1 Moderando ma non troppo (French-English, CC Mod)

The word of the day: patience :D.

33. Hector9

Hector9 Senior Member

I think the word of the day should have an automatic translation to other languages just by pressing a button or the word itself (English to Spanish could be the first trial language).

Maybe it could show a few examples as well (the ones from the online WR dictionary which give context to the word).

I hope mike add it to the upcoming new app after his vacation.

34. bloom221 Member

Burgos, Spain
    Español - España
    Any news on this? Shouldn't it be back by now?

35. Cagey post mod (English Only / Latin)

California
    English - US
    It is back. I got one on Feb 4 and one today. (I may have received more and lost track of them.)

Maybe you should check your spam filter, to see whether it is being sent to the wrong place.

36. perpend

perpend Banned

American English
    How would it be being sent to the wrong place? :confused:

You can set up a Spam box on WR?

37. Cagey post mod (English Only / Latin)

California
    English - US
    No, the Word-a-Day comes by email. Sometimes the email systems mistake WR notifications for spam.

Added
    : I can't find the invitation to sign up. I beleve it was on the definition page.

38. perpend

perpend Banned

American English
    Oh. Good to know.

39. Gemmenita

Gemmenita Senior Member

Azari
    Hi all,

I just found out this wonderful feature!
    But I don't see any small blue box or any link to access it!

Here I have 2 questions:

1. How can I subscribe to the 'Word of the day'?
    2. Like velisarius, I would like to know whether this feature could be extended to other languages too?

Many thanks in advance.:)

40. mkellogg Administrator

South Florida
    English - US
    The Word of the Day is transitioning into a new form since email wasn't working very well for us. You should see it here within a few weeks.

Other languages? Yes! But not until we can make the English one successful.

41. Gemmenita

Gemmenita Senior Member

Azari
    Thank you very much, Mike!

42. Ppja Senior Member

Andalusia, Spain; Castellano
    The Former format of "Word of the day" was much better, no need to surf into the web.

Before this change just a quick look was enough for learning...

Thanks for the efforts.

43. velisarius Senior Member

Greece
    British English (Sussex)
    I just noticed today's "word of the day" (intermediate) - "wind", illustrated by a nice shot of a series of wind turbines. I think it's confusing though to include information about the verb "*wind", which after all has nothing to do with "the wind" and might confuse learners.

If this is normal practice, should the feature have a new title: Homophones of the Day?

Edit:* I meant of course the verb wind /waɪnd/, as in She can wind him round her little finger.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
  44. Shiroiookami Member

French
    That's right. Wind turbines may well indicate that there is wind for the name "wind" but it should also be considered that the verb "to wind" does not have the same meaning at all.
    In fact, the verb "to wind" means: "to wrap / to roll", "to date back", "to snake / to weave" which have nothing in common with the verb " To blow / to breathe out ".

45. mkellogg Administrator

South Florida
    English - US
    I haven't looked at today's "word", but I think it is best to at least mention the homophone. "Don't confuse "the wind" with "to wind". Fully explaining both in one email? That would probably be OK, as long as it was explained well.

46. DearPrudence

DearPrudence Dépêche Mod (AL, Sp-En mod)

IdF
    French (lower Normandy)
    As a learner of English, I think it is great to have many different senses of the word and I would find it quite a shame to leave out some.
    In this case, it is explained clearly that the sense is unrelated and the pronunciation different so I really don't think it is a problem, quite the opposite, very precious! :)