word order [among others, by means of boosting/ by means of, among others, boosting]

espalui

Spanish
Hello,

I am not sure about the word order in this sentence

This will be achieved, among others, by means of boosting the capacity of creating organizational advantages,

or

This will be achieved by means of, among others, boosting the capacity of creating organizational advantages,

• MuttQuad

English - AmE
    Hello,

I am not sure about the word order in this sentence

This will be achieved, among others, by means of boosting the capacity of creating organizational advantages,

or

This will be achieved by means of, among others, boosting the capacity of creating organizational advantages,
    The second example is better because it provides an antecedent for "others," i.e. "means." In the first version, the wording is confusing.

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    This will be achieved, among others, by means of ...
    This will be achieved by means of, among others, ...

What are the "others"? Other achievements or other means? If you can tell us what you mean, we can say where to place the "among others"

Loob

English UK
    To be honest, espaliu, I don't like either of your options....

The problem is that "others" has to relate back to a noun, and in neither of your sentences is there a noun for it to relate back to.

I think I would have to say something like:
    This will be achieved, among other means, by boosting the capacity of ....

or
    This will be achieved by, among other means, boosting the capacity of ....

(I prefer the first:).)

EDIT: I'm agreeing with Julian, I think!

Loob

English UK
    Thanks a lot to all!
    The "others" refers to "means"
    I understand your point, espaliu. The problem is that "by means of" is, in practice, a multi-word preposition: "means", in it, has effectively lost its noun status.

That's why I prefer the alternatives I suggested:).

< Previous | Next >