[word order] At the pole joints appeared scorches [scorches appeared?]

< Previous | Next >

cointi

Polish
Hello everyone,

I'm describing the results of an experiment. Is there a difference between those two alternatives?

a) At the pole joints appeared scorches, which means that those points experienced very high temperatures.

b) At the pole joints scorches appeared, which means that those points experienced very high temperatures.

The first one sounds natural to me, but for some reason the second one sounds acceptable as well.

• Linkway

British English
    Of the two, I would prefer b).

However, I might rewrite as:

Scorches appeared at the pole joints due to the very high temperatures reached.

Edit: Good point, SwissPete.

I assumed "pole joints" were joints between two or more poles.

I was not sure whether the "poles" were (eg) steel tubes being welded OR some kind of electrical poles.

It's good that you have asked for more context or clarification. :)

cointi

Polish
    Thank you both, SwissPete and Linkway. By "pole joints" I mean joints between two or more poles. That might have been unclear, sorry.

Linkway, your sentence obviously sounds better, but for some reason I do not see it as the first sentence, following the heading (TESTS RESULTS). I would rather word is the way I did. Is it just me?

EDIT What about Some scorching appeared at the pole joints due to the very high temperatures reached? This way it somehow sounds better as the first sentence.

< Previous | Next >