Word order

< Previous | Next >

Grezegor

PL, polish
Hi all,

I have a question regarding the following two sentences. Which has a correct word order?

When I visit Poland I must always go to the factory where my friend called Jack is working.

or:

When I visit Poland I must always go to the factory where is working my friend called Jack.

And which words would you consider to be subjects in that sentence(s)?

Any hints highly appreciated.

Regards,

Grzegorz

• mjscott

American English
    Hi all,

I have a question regarding the following two sentences. Which has a correct word order?

When I visit Poland I must always go to the factory where my friend called Jack is working.

or:

When I visit Poland I must always go to the factory where is working my friend called Jack.

And which words would you consider to be subjects in that sentence(s)?

Any hints highly appreciated.

Regards,

Grzegorz
    Welcome to WordReference Forum, Grezegor!

When I visit Poland I must always go to the factory where my friend called Jack is working, is correct. The subject is I. When I visit Poland is a prepositional phrase. As it is about a time constraint, it is an adverb prepositional phrase.

Grezegor

PL, polish
    Still I have a few details which bother me:

where my friend called Jack is working.

Which part of sentence (syntactic unit) would you consider "where" to be?

Could you also please devide the following sentence into the syntactic units (subject, object, predictate etc.)

Again many thanks for help,

Grzegorz

< Previous | Next >