WordReference Forums' 10th--now 15th-- birthday!

wildan1

Moderando ma non troppo (French-English, CC Mod)
English - USA
Dear Mike,

I landed in the WR Forums quite by accident seven years ago. Soon I discovered it was a great global place of learning, of sharing, of helping and of fellowship.

As I became a moderator some years later, I soon discovered why the Forums work so well--it comes from the excellent leadership you provide to the business, the people helping you with it, and the members themselves. You know what you are doing and you are confident that those who help you also do best when you rely on their judgment, energy and enthusiasm.

It all works wonderfully!

Here's to many more years of success and enrichment for everyone using WordReference!

Thanks, Mike!

wildan1 (Bill), FR-EN Moderator

• Mary49

Italian
    64995.jpg

Hakkar

Italian
    Essendo membro dal 2007 porgo i miei sentiti complimenti a tutto lo staff del forum che si impegna continuamente nel continuo miglioramento e l'utilizzo di questo foro e anche ai membri che rispondono alle domande. Le mie congratulazioni più sentite!

Arzhela

French
    :thumbsup: Happy Birthday to WR and specially to you Mike ! What a wonderful place ! It has really been saved my life for such a long time :) ! A special dedication for the moderators too, who do a great job here !

FÉLICITATIONS ET JOYEUX ANNIVERSAIRE !

Clair Huxtable

French
    Thank you, thank you, and thank you again for this truly wonderful, indeed often life-saving resource. It is SO precious!

Let's all keep up the good work!

Very best wishes to all involved.

Agnès E.

France, French
    I'm a bit late to wish WR a happy 10th anniversary.
    What a fabulous accomplishment you've done, Mike. You made it! Kudos! :thumbsup:

(I see that you're still a big fan of smileys, aren't you? ^^ )

elirlandes

Ireland English
    Hello Mike!
    Congratulations on the 10th anniversary! What a wonderful place of learning and togetherness you have created...
    I take great pride in having been a tiny part of it as a Mod, and having had the opportunity to converse with so many kindred spirits on our love of language and its uses.
    Thanks so much for pulling it all together...

Hello to all my old friends here too... I hope you are all in good health, and wish you all continued enjoyment of this wonderful website!

El Irlandés

behavebabyyeah

Français - France
    Mike, vous avez inversé la tour de Babel.
    Now, I don't quite know how to translate that... anyone wanna help? ;)

Dlyons

English - Ireland
    Hi Mike,

It's been a while. Congrats on the 10th anniversary! The Forums are always great and the new dictionaries look good.

Saludos desde Narbona,

Donal.

zebedee

Gt. Britain - English
    Happy 10th Birthday WR!

These forums have been an important part of my life throughout the past 10 years and although I've been less active in the latter part of this decade, I still consider this place a home from home.
    Congratulations to Mike for creating this language lovers' haven, and to my fellow mods for all your hard work and the fun and laughter we've had behind the scenes over the years.

Abrazos a repartir,
    zeb

swift

Spanish – Costa Rica (Valle Central)
    Felix, your post reminded me of this one. :)

Deberíamos montarnos una tienda de serigrafías y hacernos camisetas estampadas para el décimo aniversario. :D

mkellogg

Administrator
    English - US
    Oh my God, Mike. Where was your own attempt? :p And what happened with that one-topic-per-thread rule? :D
    That was an admiistrative post. It doesn't have to follow the rules! Besides, I wouldn't know where to start to translate something to German.

Mike, here's one of those once very active members very happy to have received your invitation and hoping to meet up with some old friends at this party!
    Bondia, great to see you!
    I'm a bit late to wish WR a happy 10th anniversary.
    What a fabulous accomplishment you've done, Mike. You made it! Kudos! :thumbsup:

(I see that you're still a big fan of smileys, aren't you? ^^ )
    :D Agnès, thanks for stopping in. I still miss you and many of the early moderators!

Hello Mike! ... I take great pride in having been a tiny part of it as a Mod
    Nice to see you. You should be proud. As a group, we have accomplished a lot.

Hi Mike,
    It's been a while. Congrats on the 10th anniversary! The Forums are always great and the new dictionaries look good.
    Donal.
    Nice to see you here, Donal! Narbona? France? You must be on vacation. I can't imagine you moving to France instead of Spain.

Again, the forums are a joint effort. I keep it running, the moderators do an awful lot of things and the regular members answer many questions. Congratulations to us all for jointly building this place.

ErOtto

Bilingual: Spanish (Spain) / German (Germany)
    Happy birthday WR!
    Congrats Mike... and thanks for the email you sent ;)
    I'm not active since a while... but I use the ressources often.
    Thanks also, obviously, to all the foreros... as they are all the soul of this... as Mike said a lot of times. :)

Re
    Er

Gope

Tamil
    Its wonderful what you have created and nurtured Mike. Many happy returns to the Forum from the very depth of my heart!:)

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    Well done, a lot happens in 10 years and that includes work. Thanks to the site, my English is noticeably gooder.

PS
    (Was there some reason you chose the 70th anniversary of the shooting of John Dillinger as the day to launch the forum?)

lauranazario

Moderatrix
    Español puertorriqueño & US English
    Everything is better with chocolate! ;)
    10-candle-300x278.png

Happy 10th anniversary to WR and Mike, its creator.
    Thank you for allowing us to learn and grow (and serve) in this wonderful site.

totor

Castellano rioplatense
    ¡¡¡Muchas felicidades al pequeño WR, que se ha vuelto grande!!!

Y como dijo mi amigo José, yo también estoy orgulloso de formar parte de esta comunidad.

dg_spain

English - US
    Yes! I'll add my voice to this celebration--I remember finding this forum and ADORING it. Use it less now than previously, but I still use it and recommend it often.

Wordsmyth

Native language: English (BrE)
    Mike, vous avez inversé la tour de Babel.
    Now, I don't quite know how to translate that... anyone wanna help? ;)
    How about "You've turned the Tower of Babel on its head"? Thinking about the Tower of Babel story, that's true.

From the book of Genesis (King James version):

"Behold, the people is one, and they have all one language; and this they begin to do: and now nothing will be restrained from them, which they have imagined to do.
    Go to, let us go down, and there confound their language, that they may not understand one another's speech.
    "

From the book of WordRef (Wordsmyth version):

"And they were sore confounded for many a long year, and much ill befell them, for there was no intercourse between them; neither could they open their hearts and minds to those of other lands, nor even to those who dwelt nearby.

"And it came to pass that a prophet among them, one Michael of the tribe of Kellogg, set himself to right this wrong. Gathering disciples about him, he spake unto them:
    '
    Behold, the people have many languages, and some are troubled even in the language which is their own; but nothing should be restrained from them which they have imagined to do.
    Let us go out, and do good works, that they may understand one another's speech.'
    "

... and the rest, as they say, is history.:)

(PS. Figments of my imagination don't count for the four-sentence quotation rule.:D)

Ws:)

onlytime

Español, México
    ¡Felicidades WR! , gracias a todos por las contribuciones, es un gran foro.
    Joyeux anniversaire! , merci à tous!

ain'ttranslationfun?

US English
    I remember seeing a greeting card with drawings of animals to express this idea except for the name of the person. The animals shown gave the message:
    "Hippo, birdie, two ewes,
    Hippo, birdie, two ewes!
    Hippo, birdie, deer Mike,
    Hippo, birdie, two ewes!"

xiaolijie

UK
    English (UK)
    Happy Birthday to WordReference, and thank you all for making WordReference such a great place to be!

irinet

Romanian
    It's nice being here altogether in the only peaceful, witty and the most comfortable place on the globe!
    Cheers!!! :) :) :) :)
    La Mulți Ani!

Last edited:

lilyjak

Français - France
    Happy Birthday Wordreference! My favorite website as far as English/French translation is concerned. I learned a lot reading other members suggestions :)

timpeac

English (England)
    Many congratulations to Mike and to WordReference and all the contributors who make it up for setting the gold-standard for forums and language learning for 10 years.

Here's to the next 10.
    fireworks-photos-146.jpg

yidilili

Felicitaciones!!!! Pero sobre todo quiero que sepan que han sido un apoyo muy importante para mi trabajo. Además he aprendido mucho con su ayuda. Gracias por existir!!!!!!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

cherine

Arabic (Egypt).
    Thank you, Mike, for this wonderful place. It's a great joy to be part of the forum for so many years. I've learned a lot, even in my own language, I became more humble (the forum teaches us, among other things, that we're not as knowledgeable as we think we are, and that we have a lot more to learn), and I've met some very good people from all around the word. No words can express my gratitude.

May this wonderful forum grow much more and keep flourishing for many decades to come. :)

"And it came to pass that a prophet among them, one Michael of the tribe of Kellogg, set himself to right this wrong. Gathering disciples about him, he spake unto them:
    '
    Behold, the people have many languages, and some are troubled even in the language which is their own; but nothing should be restrained from them which they have imagined to do.
    Let us go out, and do good works, that they may understand one another's speech.'
    "
    I loved this. :thumbsup: :D

Berenguer

Spain, Spanish
    Mike, thanks for this great idea, that has already lasted 10 years and I am pretty much sure that will contribute during many more years to spread and increase the co-learning of languages. And of course it will also keep being the "square" for meeting lots of amazing and smart people.
    Hurray for this community!

Camilo1964

Spanish - Venezuela
    Muchas felicidades! WR se convirtió en una herramienta invaluable y siempre ha sido un lugar fantástico donde compartir el cariño por el lenguaje! Que sean muchos más!

Peterdg

Dutch - Belgium
    Also from me a very big "Thank You!" for this great place and the great idea you had to start this initiative.

I think I joined about 5 years ago and since then I have visited the forums every single day I think (well ...:cool:).

Not only have I learned a lot here; I have also met a lot of lovely people.

I hope this place continues to be here for many many years to come.

Peter