words associated with the elderly (“Florida” and “bingo”)

NewAmerica

Mandarin
Do your intuition tell you that “Florida” and “bingo” are words associated with the elderly?

I guess that Americans may have this feel. How about other native English speakers?

Thanks in advance

Reports have recently documented that some of the original studies
demonstrating unconscious effects on social behavior—research,
for instance, that showed that people walk more slowly after hearing
words associated with the elderly (“Florida” and “bingo”)—could not
be replicated when the procedures were repeated in new studies. The
accounts, however, have generally neglected to mention that many other
studies published over the past decade or so have successfully reproduced
original findings on unconscious thought and behavior and have
also extended this line of investigation in new directions.

-Scientific American

• Copyright

American English
    Do your intuition tell you that “Florida” and “bingo” are words associated with the elderly?
    Not my intuition, but my experience: many Americans retire to Florida (I recall walking into a hotel down there many years ago and seeing a sea of blue-rinsed hair*) and Bingo is a game played by elderly people.

From Wikipedia: Blue rinse:
    A blue rinse is a dilute hair dye used to reduce the yellowed appearance of grey or white hair, typically associated with older women. In a manner similar to laundry bluing, the blue rinse can make yellow-white hair appear blue-white.[citation needed]

The blue rinse gained popularity after Jean Harlow's appearance in the 1930 film, Hell's Angels. Queen Elizabeth also contributed to the popularity of the blue rinse in the 1940s.

I didn't know about Jean Harlow and the Hell's Angels – it's an image I'll remember next time I see one of the ladies. :)

NewAmerica

Mandarin
    So Florida - a heaven for golden age?
    I guess that bingo would be a game loved by senior people?

Copyright

American English
    So Florida - a heaven for golden age?
    Yes, its weather will warm your bones, and New Yorkers especially appreciate that.
    I guess that bingo would be a game loved by senior people?
    Yes, you don't have to be too athletic to participate. Plus you can add excitement to the game by playing more than one bingo card: I've seen people playing a dozen at a time, and I'm sure that's not a record.

Here's a serious contender with a Big Bingo Pen. :) (Google Images)

< Previous | Next >