Words for friend

< Previous | Next >

David S

English - US
How would you translate acquaintance, friend, best friend, bro (male friend of another man), girlfriend (platonic female friend of another woman)?

What about boyfriend, girlfriend, significant other, (romantic) partner, spouse, and fiance?

I acknowledge that perhaps some of these terms of Anglo-culture-centric, so if there are, conversely, different terms for friends that English wouldn't distinguish between, then please mention them too.

Thanks,
Vince

• anipo

Spanish (Arg)- German
    acquaintance מכר
    friend חבר, ידיד
    best friend
    החבר הטוב ביותר
    bro (male friend of another man)
    "חבר, "אח
    girlfriend (platonic female friend of another woman) חברה

boyfriend חבר
    girlfriend חברה
    significant other אחר משמעותי - seldom used
    (romantic) partner בן זוג, בת זוג,
    spouse בעל (husband) אישה, רעיה (wife)
    fiance ארוס, ארוסה

The use of חבר/ה can confuse, so if a man is speaking about a female friend (with no romantic connotations) he will normally use the word ידידה.
    And a woman will speak about a ידיד (male friend with no romantic connotations).

Drink

English - New England, Russian - Moscow
    I've noticed many times that you make mistakes in reading your foreign dictionaries. So I urge you to either start using an English-language dictionary or to be a lot less confident in your translations of French and German definitions.

As far as I can tell, עמית refers to a singular person in each of the 12 places it's used in the Bible.

Ali Smith

Urdu - Pakistan
    community, association of people

The example it gave was נבר עמיתי "the man of my society" (Zech 137).
    I have no idea what the "7" in "Zech 137" stands for though.

Drink

English - New England, Russian - Moscow
    And that's the only definition given? It sounds like that's a specific definition for just this one verse (whether accurate or not). In all the other 11 uses, this definition does not fit.

The 7 is the verse number, by the way.

shalom00

English - US
    It appears to be a mistranslation, according to the commentaries.
    גבר עמיתי is parallel to רעית, which appears just before it.

shalom00

English - US
    Sorry, that is what I meant. Moving between Hebrew and English on the keyboard causes sometimes the wrong thing to be typed.

< Previous | Next >