Words not correctly conveyed as intended

nagomi

Korean
Context: You're in a meeting and you know you need to be formal with your language, but this is getting your back and you can't really choose the right words that hits it spot on. It feels like you are trying to put out words, but none of them actually land in the middle of the target. If I would be allowed to express this idea in my language, I probably would say 'my words are not biting. (pretending my words are bolts).' or 'they miss the target.'

Question: Is there a way describe this?

Model: As I'm too being careful with my words, I can't find the fitting words here. They __________."

• lingobingo

English - England
    The simplest way to say it is “I’m not putting this very well”. You don’t need to use a metaphor at all.

However, if I did, I’d probably say: “Sorry! I’m making a bit of a pig’s ear of this.”

Roxxxannne

American English (New England and NYC)
    The simplest way to say it is “I’m not putting this very well”. You don’t need to use a metaphor at all.

However, if I did, I’d probably say: “Sorry! I’m making a bit of a pig’s ear of this.”
    Americans would not understand that British expression.
    I agree that you don't need a metaphor.
    I might say "Sorry, I'm not expressing myself very well" or "Sorry, I'm not being very clear."