words of eyes

• Cavatine

French - France
    Ah, lol. I was quite sure that it doesn't exist in english. It's not necessary to think much of it. Actually, I was trying to formulate that eyes have also their language, that they can pass on some feelings as well as the tongue.

I hope you have understood, and if you know another expression for this... motion it to me !

Cavatine

French - France
    Yes :)

But, does it exist in english ? I mean, is it possible to translate word by word this expression ?

CARNESECCHI

French / France
    Hello,
    Not necessarily romantic, depends on the context. You can have anger or fear, or nothing, in "l'expression du regard".
    Hope it helps!

charlie2

And if this is not too much to ask, would you put "l'expression du regard" in a sentence for me, please?

Perhaps I should try it first.
    1.Ses expressions du regard montrent qu'il aime cette fille. (His "words of eyes" show that he loves this girl.)
    2.Ses expressions du regard montrent qu'il est au désespoir.(His "words of eyes" show that he is in despair.)
    Do they work? Thanks.:)

CARNESECCHI

French / France
    Hello,
    When I suggested "l'expression du regard", it was a general idea that needed to be adjusted to the context :
    You can say "l'expression de son regard traduisait(criait/hurlait if he is dying with love) son amour pour cette fille/ son désespoir"
    You can also say:
    "ses yeux", "son regard" or "son expression" "exprime(nt) son amour pour cette fille" / "son désespoir"

But : "L'expression du regard" is a rather technical expression to tell that the eyes/eyelids/eyebrows (+ make-up) show feelings by moving in accordance. For example : "On peut changer l'expression du regard et le rendre plus provocateur/souriant/doux par divers maquillages" or "la réflexion de la lumière sur la cornée (surface of the eye) est un support important de l'expression du regard".

Hope it helps!

CARNESECCHI

French / France
    Hello,
    "Le langage des yeux" yes, perfect for romance.
    We don't use it commonly, but I found it in some poems and it's a game with "langage des fleurs". And, as I was trying to find usual expressions I didn't try to build one for poetry!
    Hope it helps!

< Previous | Next >