Words that appear <in /on> a word cloud

< Previous | Next >

FnF

Greek
Hello!

I would like your help. Please tell me which of the phrases are correct:

- Words that appear in a word cloud
- Words that appear on a word cloud

- I found the definition on the visual dictionary (it is an online visual dictionary not a paperback one)
- I found the definition in the visual dictionary (it is an online visual dictionary not a paperback one)

Thanks a lot! :)

• FnF

Greek
    I have no idea which are correct. I had a discussion with a British friend and he doesn't know either. I would use "on" because we refer to things that appear "on" the computer.

But I would like to confirm that.

Myridon

English - US
    What's a "word cloud"?

I found the definition in The Visual Dictionary. (The title of a work that is published on one or more web sites. You found it in the content.).
    I found the definition on The Visual Dictionary. (The title of a website. You found it on the website.)

Egmont

English - U.S.
    I would use "in."

A dictionary is a list of words, no matter what its medium is. The word either is or is not in that list.

However, I might look at the dictionary on a computer screen (or on paper, on parchment, on a clay tablet ...). I might have also found it on a Web site.

Kattah

American English
    Oh gosh. I would have to say "in a word cloud". The reason would be based on the word cloud is a type of cloud made up of words, and not a cloud in the sky. So words are "IN" the cloud the same way oxygen molecules would be in H20.

When uploading files to the cloud, we are saving our files IN the cloud and not on it.

I could be wrong...

< Previous | Next >