wordstress in проклятый

< Previous | Next >

Lorenc

Italian
The word проклятый 'cursed, damned' can be stressed in two ways: проклятый and проклятый. I've found an explanation but I still have doubts. The explanation says:
Ударение на первом слоге ставится, если слово имеет значение “подвергнувшийся проклятию”, и на втором, если оно означает “ненавистный”.
which I understand as
The word-stress is on the first syllable if the word has the meaning 'subjected to a curse', and on the second if it means 'hateful, loathsome'.
The thing is, in English (or Italian for that matter) these two meanings are really the same:, e.g. the sentence "I only wanted to leave of that cursed room!" could mean that the room is actually cursed (magically, eg in a fairly tale) or that I hate that room.
Am I correct in assuming that the sentence above would be, respectively:
Я просто хотел выйти из этой проклятой комнаты! (fairly-tale meaning of 'cursed')
Я просто хотел выйти из этой проклятой комнаты! (pejorative, figurative meaning of 'cursed')

If it is so then I'd expect проклятой to be used more often that проклятой in real-life (non-magical) contexts. Correct?

• Awwal12

Russian
    The word-stress is on the first syllable if the word has the meaning 'subjected to a curse', and on the second if it means 'hateful, loathsome'.
    The thing is, in English (or Italian for that matter) these two meanings are really the same
    If something (or someone) has been actually cursed, it will be про́клят, про́клятый.
    In the idiomatic expressive phrase :warning: "that damned someone/something", прокля́тый will be used.
    Am I correct in assuming that the sentence above would be, respectively:
    Я просто хотел выйти из этой проклятой комнаты! (fairly-tale meaning of 'cursed')
    Я просто хотел выйти из этой проклятой комнаты! (pejorative, figurative meaning of 'cursed')
    Pretty much so.

Awwal12

Russian
    If it is so then I'd expect проклятой to be used more often that проклятой in real-life (non-magical) contexts. Correct?
    Hard to say, since прокля́тый isn't very frequent either. English speakers use various "damnations" way more frequently, colloquial speech included; Russians will more likely use various euphemisms of Russian mat words here, if not mat itself. "Прокля́тый" sounds a little bit bookish to me.

Last edited:

nizzebro

Russian
    I agree with Awwal12: прокля́тый sounds a bit comic; there's much more chance to hear про́клятый in everyday speech:
    "Этот дом/день какой-то про́клятый - всё идёт не так, как надо (ничего не найти, всё валится из рук)"

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >