work area, working area, workfield, work-field

Discussion in 'English Only' started by pablopablo, Jan 31, 2013.

  1. pablopablo New Member

    I am wondering which form would be the most appropriate and if any could be used interchangeably. The context is:

    The doctor focuses on the work area/working area/workfield/work-field in the oral cavity.

    Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  2. Beryl from Northallerton Senior Member

    British English
    What, in your view, is meant by any of these 'forms'? What idea are you trying to express?
  3. pablopablo New Member

    An area on which you focus when you perform a task.
    e.g. If I am doing some welding - my work area would be the exact place where I put a weld.
  4. Beryl from Northallerton Senior Member

    British English
    Well, doctors certainly can focus on the oral cavity though it's by no means their exclusive sphere of attention. Were you perhaps thinking of dentists or oral surgeons?
  5. pablopablo New Member

    Exactly, I meant dentists. I have to find a right and easy phrase for this "exclusive sphere of attention". When I am googling work or working area it seems that it means rather the area in which you work, so your office or desk.
  6. Parla Senior Member

    New York City
    English - US
    The work site, perhaps? Or perhaps be more specific (depending on the nature of the work, of course), e.g.: the extraction site, the infected tooth, . . .

Share This Page