work as a simultaneous Italian-Spanish interpreter

< Previous | Next >
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andiamoo

Banned
Italian
Good morning,
I would like to know if it is correct or if I should find another word.

work as a simultaneous Italian-Spanish interpreter

• Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    It is correct. Simultaneous interpreting is the difficult art of speaking in one language at the same time as listening to another language. Typically, you sit in a glass both, listening on headphones to a speaker talking Italian while translating it by microphone into Spanish (or vice versa).

The other kinds of interpreting are consecutive (where the speaker pauses between sentences and waits for you to finish) and liaison interpreting (where you wait for several minutes, and then give a paraphrase of what has been said).

With a little effort on all sides, consecutive interpreting can meld into simultaneous, which is twice as fast.

Elwintee

England English
    It is correct. Simultaneous interpreting is the difficult art of speaking in one language at the same time as listening to another language. Typically, you sit in a glass both [= booth], listening on headphones to a speaker talking Italian while translating it by microphone into Spanish (or vice versa).

The other kinds of interpreting are consecutive (where the speaker pauses between sentences and waits for you to finish) and liaison interpreting (where you wait for several minutes, and then give a paraphrase of what has been said).

With a little effort on all sides, consecutive interpreting can meld into simultaneous, which is twice as fast.
    I've just corrected 'both' to 'booth', for the sake of learners who may not realise what is meant. :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    < Previous | Next >