work it off a lesson at a time

Lacanga

Spanish
Hola,

Estoy tratando de buscar la traducción correcta para la siguiente frase:

You can work it off a lesson at a time with the “company store”, so to speak

El contexto es alguien que le ofrece a otra persona la posibilidad de tocar/practicar con un instrumento musical muy caro a cambio de que de clases de música en la tienda. ¿Podría ser algo así?

Podría trabajar en las lecciones con el "material de la tienda", por así decirlo

¿Cómo lo veis? Gracias, un saludo!

• gengo

American English
    You can work it off a lesson at a time with the “company store”, so to speak

El contexto es alguien que le ofrece a otra persona la posibilidad de tocar/practicar con un instrumento musical muy caro a cambio de que de clases de música en la tienda. ¿Podría ser algo así?
    The meaning of the original isn't entirely clear to me. In former times, large companies would build small towns to house their workers, which included everything a normal town would have, such as churches and stores. The company allowed the workers to pay for their purchases at the store with chits (subtracting the purchase price from their salary), but the prices at the stores were so high that the workers often ended up owing more to the company than they were paid each month.

Your writer seems to be making some kind of reference to this practice, which is why he put the words company store in scare quotes.

That aside, the basic meaning of the sentence is as described by The Newt. That is, "You can borrow this expensive instrument, and in return you can repay me by giving music lessons. Each lesson will reduce your debt to me." I think the "company store" part may just be an attempt at humor, implying that the other person will never actually be able to repay their debt in full.

Lacanga

Spanish
    Muchas gracias por la aclaración. Como dispongo de un espacio limitado, he optado por lo siguiente:

Podría dar las lecciones a cambio del "material de la tienda", por así decirlo

< Previous | Next >