work on progressing areas not hostage to external events

dhchong

Korean
Hi, forum members!

This is from Dear Entrepreneur: Letters from Those That Have Made It and Are Making It Happen by Danny Bailey and Andrew Blackman

The smaller the start-up, the more likely an external factor will be able to invalidate what was previously correct. So work on progressing areas not hostage to external events as well as those that are.
What does 'progresing areas' mean in the context? It seems that the writer want to say to work on some areas so that not affected by external events(is hostage used to mean 'the state of being affected?).
But how is it possible to avoid that situation by working on progressing areas?

• natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    I think progressing is used as a transitive verb here, and this is rather unusual. Work is a verb and is in the imperative. 'Work on developing areas that are not controlled by external events as well as those that are.'

dhchong

Korean
    Thank you. So the writer is saying to work on developing areas controlled by external events as well as those areas that are not controlled by external events.

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    Yes, he's saying that the smaller you are, the more vulnerable you'll be to changes external to you.

He goes on to say, by rather questionable logic, it seems to me, that this means one should develop those parts of the business which are immune to external influences, as well as those that are not.

The writing is simply dreadful. I don't know how anyone expects people to read him when he writes so badly.

< Previous | Next >