work performed on / from the scaffold

< Previous | Next >

Baltic Sea

Banned
Polish
Hello again!

Which sentense is correct?

The work was performed on the scaffold.
The work was performed from the scaffold.

Thank you.

I don't know what's wrong with letter sizes.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • exgerman

NYC
    English but my first language was German
    First of all, I think you mean scaffolding. The only work performed on scaffolds is very bloody (executions). :)

If you have a scaffolding alongside a building, and are working on the wall next to it, then the work is performed from the scaffolding.

If you have a scaffolding set up in a large space, and are putting a fresco on the ceiling on the ceiling for example, the painting is performed from the scaffolding, but the mixing of the colors would be done on the scaffolding.

heypresto

English - England
    First of all, I think you mean scaffolding. The only work performed on scaffolds is very bloody (executions). :)

If you have a scaffolding alongside a building, and are working on the wall next to it, then the work is performed from the scaffolding.

If you have a scaffolding set up in a large space, and are putting a fresco on the ceiling on the ceiling for example, the painting is performed from the scaffolding, but the mixing of the colors would be done on the scaffolding.
    . . . and if you were repairing or painting the scaffolding itself you would also be performing (or doing) work on the scaffolding.:)

Szkot

UK English
    The word scaffold is used in the building trade as in 'RES Teesdale offer contract scaffold services, hire of access and building equipment and a scaffold appreciation course.' I doubt if the users of the scaffolds you have in mind would have greatly appreciated it.:)

pob14

American English
    According to Merriam, the first definition of scaffold is
    a temporary or movable platform for workers (as bricklayers, painters, or miners) to stand or sit on when working at a height above the floor or ground
    The hangman's platform is the second definition.

Scaffolding is defined there as a system of scaffolds.

That's the way I've always used the words.

Edit: Oh, yes, as to the actual question . . . I would say that the employees are working on the scaffold, but that the work they are doing is being done from the scaffold.

< Previous | Next >