Work the oracle

Art Kelly

Spanish
Hello

I need some example sentences to this phrase.

Work the oracle: (idm infml) to succeed in making an explanation difficult.

Thank you in advance for your help.

• bibliolept

AE, Español
    The phrase "to work the oracle" has other meanings, in my experience. It can be used to mean to succeed in an endeavor, especially through planning or plotting. It can also refer to marshaling resources, especially money.

Traditional oracles (like modern pundits), worked by giving complicated and weaselly answers.

Can you provide the source for your the use of "work the oracle" that you mentioned?

bibliolept

AE, Español
    Art: In my experience, "work the oracle" does not to makes something sound complex or confusing.
    1) If you think this is the case, can you provide a source to help me understand this use?
    2) Do you want to use the phrase, or are you seeking a phrase that would mean "to make an explanation difficult?"

bibliolept

AE, Español
    First, you should understand that this phrase is exceedingly obscure.

"He wasn't happy with the idea, but I worked the oracle and convinced him."

"He worked the oracle with the audit results and managed to make them seem more favorable."

It seems that "work the oracle" can have a wide variety of related meanings, mostly due with manipulation or a stratagem in order to achieve a result or garner support or acquiescence.

< Previous | Next >