Works indeed of genius fall under no art;

celine713

Chinese
"If then a practical end must be assigned to a University course, I say it is of training good members of society. Its art is the art of social life, and its end is fitness for the world...Works indeed of genius fall under no art; heroic minds come under no rule; a University is not a birthplace if poets or of immortal authors, of founders of schools, leaders of colonies... it aims at raising the intellectual tone of society...at giving enlargement and sobriety to the ideas of the age..."
by John Henry Newman

these are my version:

Works indeed of genius fall under no art:unprecedented works are free from the theory of art?

it aims at raising the intellectual tone of society...at giving enlargement and sobriety to the ideas of the age...:
so as to improve the quality of general public and make them highly refined...to broaden people's view and teach them to think critically and independently on the contemporaneous opinions and thoughts ?

What do you think? Thanks for any ideas!!:)

• mjscott

American English
    "If then a practical end must be assigned to a University course, I say it is of training good members of society. Its art is the art of social life, and its end is fitness for the world...Works indeed of genius fall under no art; heroic minds come under no rule; a University is not a birthplace if of poets or of immortal authors, of founders of schools, leaders of colonies... it aims at raising the intellectual tone of society...at giving enlargement and sobriety to the ideas of the age..."
    by John Henry Newman

these are my version:

Works indeed of genius fall under no art:
    --unprecedented works are free from the theory of art?
    --Just my thought on it: Works of genius define art. They create the seeds from which theory springs forth.

it aims at raising the intellectual tone of society...at giving enlargement and sobriety to the ideas of the age...:
    so as to improve the quality of general public and make them highly refined...to broaden people's view and teach them to think critically and independently on the contemporaneous opinions and thoughts ?

....Sounds lofty enough to work.

What do you think? Thanks for any ideas!!:)
    Good luck!

< Previous | Next >