World full of moonbats

Jana337

čeština
"Barking moonbats" have spread recently in the web. Could anyone explain what kind of beast it is?
It follows from my Google-based investigation that
1) they are more diffused across the pond than in Europe (no idea whether the expression is being in use on other continents, too),
2) it is quite a popular insult in politics, especially in libertarian circles (see Samizdata, the page that allegedly coins it),
3) the most popular definition is "someone who sacrifices sanity for the sake of consistency"
4) an alternative, more eloquent definition: Any person (moonbat) or persons (moonbats) whose political ties and ideologies lie on the very edge of the political spectrum. Moonbats sacrifice mainstream appeal for long stints of belligerence, irrelavence, and impotence. Facts have no effect on moonbats, as they are so enraptured by their -ism that their auditory and cerebral functions shut down completely. Being non-gender specific, both males and females could be correctly labeled "moonbats." The word "moonbat", while sometimes used by liberals and those who are left-leaning politically, is mostly a conservative term. Somewhat derogatory, it is truly a satirical word. Its usage wouldn't be necessary if it didn't fit so many political activists.

Does it come from a movie I have not seen???

Jana

• Edwin

USA / Native Language: English
    jz337 said:
    "Barking moonbats" have spread recently in the web. Could anyone explain what kind of beast it is?
    I don't recall having heard it. I think it is just a ''poetic'' invention to describe someone or something that is ''far out''.

For me it evokes ''barking and howling at the moon'' and ''bats flying across the face of a full moon''. Of course the moon itself suggests the concept of lunacy, and bats or batty is another expression for ''a little crazy''. It also reminds me of a statement of several years ago describing Stephen Wolfram's new book: ''a rare blend of monster raving egomania and utter batshit insanity.'' Some people just love to play with words and have a talent for such expressions. :)

Jana337

čeština
    Edwin said:
    I don't recall having heard it.
    Thank you for the rapid reply.
    Interestingly, the Google offers 112 000 results (which is not few IMHO), weblogs being the major source.

Jana

< Previous | Next >