<world-wide><international> food/cuisine

Mnemon

Parsi
Error Warning
we say international food/cuisine, NOT world-wide food/cuisine.
Having seen the above statement in English Collocation in Use book. Do you agree with the book? For instance, would it be unnatural and unidiomatic to say:

Rice is a world-wide food that is well known by everybody.

Mnemon

Last edited:
  • The Newt

English - US
    "Rice is a food that is familiar to everyone worldwide" would be better. Calling something a "world-wide food" isn't natural to us.

Mnemon

Parsi
    Calling something a "world-wide food" isn't natural to us.
    I am not sure, due to the fact that it has been used in books.

Rice is a world-wide food that is well known by everyone. Rice is selectively grown in well fortified fertile rich well watered soil. Rice is specially chosen to grow in many countries and nations around the world. (A Wave of Inspirational Poems - John A. Hodge - 2011)

The Newt

English - US
    I am not sure, due to the fact that it has been used in books.

Rice is a world-wide food that is well known by everyone. Rice is selectively grown in well fortified fertile rich well watered soil. Rice is specially chosen to grow in many countries and nations around the world. (A Wave of Inspirational Poems - John A. Hodge - 2011)
    He's a self-published author. You can't go by him.

Mnemon

Parsi
    He's a self-published author. You can't go by him.
    Thyme is another Mediterranean herb that has become essential in world-wide cuisine. (What Can I Do with My Herbs?: how to Grow, Use, and Enjoy These Versatile Plants - Judy Barrett - 2009)

< Previous | Next >