worldview beliefs

< Previous | Next >

overthesea

French
Hi everyone,

I'm translating an article about adolescent cultural identity formation. There's an expression I don't quite understand :

"What is a cultural identity? Forming a cultural identity involves taking on worldview beliefs and engaging in behavioral practices that unite people within a community."

I understand "beliefs" (croyances) and "worldview" (vision du monde), but what are these "worldview beliefs"? The beliefs that pertain to one's conception of the world?

Here is my translation: "Qu’est-ce que l’identité culturelle ? Chacun construit son identité culturelle en adoptant des ??? ainsi que des pratiques comportementales qui unissent des individus au sein d’une communauté."

I'm struggling for days to find an appropriate translation! Any help? :)

Thank you everyone!

• overthesea

French
    Thank you Assurancetourix ! :)

Do you think that "en adoptant une certaine conception du monde, des croyances et des pratiques comportementales ect" would work? Or would it be undertranslated?

Assurancetourix

English (UK)
    I don't think it would be undertranslated but perhaps you have lost the link between the croyances and the conception du monde. Would en adoptant des croyances qui font une [certaine] conception du monde be possible?

overthesea

French
    I don't think it would be undertranslated but perhaps you have lost the link between the croyances and the conception du monde. Would en adoptant des croyances qui font une [certaine] conception du monde be possible?
    I see what you mean, I've been thinking about your translation and what would fit is maybe :
    des croyances qui mènent à une certaine conception du monde.

Thank you, you really helped! :)

If anyone has another idea or wants to improve, feel free to answer!

SydneyBox

English -Ireland
    In the spirit of brainstorming two words come to mind. I have no idea how relevant either of them is.

Paradigme
    http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paradigme
    "Un paradigme est une représentation du monde, une manière de voir les choses, un modèle cohérent de vision du monde qui repose sur une base définie (matrice disciplinaire, modèle théorique ou courant de pensée)."

The English entry for paradigm has the following buried deeply in it:- "... Additionally, it refers to the framework of ideas and beliefs through which an individual, group or culture interprets the world and interacts with it...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paradigm"

The German word Weltanschauung used very rarely in English. Wiki uses "world view" as do the vast majority of English speakers. The German word may be used in certain circles in France. Buried deeply in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_view
    you will find "... broadly: a philosophical or theoretical framework of any kind..."

overthesea

French
    Paradigme
    http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paradigme
    "Un paradigme est une représentation du monde, une manière de voir les choses, un modèle cohérent de vision du monde qui repose sur une base définie (matrice disciplinaire, modèle théorique ou courant de pensée)."

The English entry for paradigm has the following buried deeply in it:- "... Additionally, it refers to the framework of ideas and beliefs through which an individual, group or culture interprets the world and interacts with it...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paradigm"
    Thank you SydneyBox, your message is very useful, I'm going to see if I can use "paradigme" to translate the whole expression "worldview beliefs".

overthesea

French
    Hello again everyone :)

This is my final translation :

Forming a cultural identity involves taking on worldview beliefs and engaging in behavioral practices that unite people within a community.

Chacun construit son identité culturelle en adoptant des croyances et des comportements qui s’inscrivent dans une certaine conception du monde et qui unissent des individus au sein d’une communauté.

What do you think of it ?

Assurancetourix

English (UK)
    Just a couple of things that occur to me:

1. The writer of the EN text could have used paradigm but did not.
    2. Paradigm refers to a person's worldview considered in its entirety - the framework of ideas and beliefs, to quote the definition above. On the other hand the source text cannot be saying that people do not acquire a worldview until adolescence. It is saying that a person's worldview changes at that stage through the acquisition of new beliefs, on the basis that beliefs are (among) the components of a worldview. In other words paradigm may be a synonym of worldview but it is not a synonym of worldview belief, since this expression refers specifically to an element of the whole.

I was trying to bring out the idea that the worldview is not just loosely related to beliefs but is actually constituted by beliefs when I suggested croyances qui font une conception du monde. I probably chose the wrong verb to express this - but if you go to croyances qui mènent à une conception du monde you have lost the idea that the beliefs are components of the worldview. It could be of course that you just disagree with my interpretation of the source text - but I would still be interested to know how the idea that the beliefs make up the worldview could be expressed in FR. How about croyances qui forment une conception du monde?

Edit: our posts crossed - this was a reply to the last-but-one post. I think the verb s'inscriver is a good way of bringing out the link between the beliefs and the worldview.

Last edited:

overthesea

French
    Just a couple of things that occur to me:

1. The writer of the EN text could have used paradigm but did not.
    2. Paradigm refers to a person's worldview considered in its entirety - the framework of ideas and beliefs, to quote the definition above. On the other hand the source text cannot be saying that people do not acquire a worldview until adolescence. It is saying that a person's worldview changes at that stage through the acquisition of new beliefs, on the basis that beliefs are (among) the components of a worldview. In other words paradigm may be a synonym of worldview but it is not a synonym of worldview belief, since this expression refers specifically to an element of the whole.
    You're right. That's why I didn't eventually translate with "paradigm", even though it was a good term.

I was trying to bring out the idea that the worldview is not just loosely related to beliefs but is actually constituted by beliefs when I suggested croyances qui font une conception du monde. I probably chose the wrong verb to express this - but if you go to croyances qui mènent à une conception du monde you have lost the idea that the beliefs are components of the worldview. It could be of course that you just disagree with my interpretation of the source text - but I would still be interested to know how the idea that the beliefs make up the worldview could be expressed in FR. How about croyances qui forment une conception du monde?

Edit: our posts crossed - this was a reply to the last-but-one post. I think the verb s'inscriver is a good way of bringing out the link between the beliefs and the worldview.
    Yes I think I'm going to keep s'inscrire :)

< Previous | Next >