'worldwide/world'wide

G&G&

Spanish
Hi! Can you help me to accent theese words?
Thank you!

Travel Marketing WorldWide Latin America.
Is it 'Worldwide or World'wide? The word in isolation is worl'wide.

How do I accent the following?
Impact Tourism Latin America

Maybe it's something like that: 'Impact Tourism Latin A'merica

• G&G&

Spanish
    Maybe the correct word is stress and not accentuation.
    I have to say the whole sentence but I don't know how to pronunce the word worldwide. This is a question of Phonetics.
    Travel Marketing WorldWide Latin America.

owlman5

English-US
    Here's a link to WR's definition for "worldwide", G&G&. If you click on the little speaker icon by the word, you should be able to hear how it's pronounced in American English and British English.

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    Are these titles of a business or something (note that Worldwide is bigger than Latin America!)
    The difference in stress between the two components is quite small, particularly for the BrE version. Context might have some influence : Worldwide might get more stress on world in a context if it was being distinguished from countrywide.

G&G&

Spanish
    So, JulianStuart let me check if I've understood correctly. The word 'worldwide' in context will have more stress on 'world' than in 'wide'? and the word in isolation will have more stress on wide, am I right? Thanks!

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    It will depend on the specific context. I gave a specific example where the word world was being contrasted with country to describe the area of distribution. In isolation means without context, no? Most of the time I say it with equal stress on the two syllables.

entangledbank

English - South-East England
    They have offices 'world'wide: Both syllables equally stressed, or it may be more strongly on the second. But before a following stressed syllable, stress shift is likely to apply: the stress will shift to initial only, to avoid consecutive stresses.

'worldwide 'marketing
    cf. She is fif'teen ~ 'fifteen 'men

Now, how to combine that with the phrase stress? It can be complicated to work out (much less give rules for) the stresses on complex noun phrases, but one thing I notice is that a region at the end gets the main stress: Merrill Lynch 'Europe, Nissan 'Ireland. The regional branch is being distinguished from others. The world'wide branch [I'm contrasting world'wide with others there, so it gets first choice of stress] might be called Merrill Lynch World'wide. Using % for secondary stress, the remaining parts get their normal stress: %Me.rrill Lynch 'Eu.rope, %Niss.an 'Ire.land.

Putting this together, I would suggest:

%Trav.el Marketing World%wide Latin A'me.rica
    Impact %Tour.ism Latin A'me.rica (I think I'd say Impact 'Tour.ism for a proper name, not 'Im.pact Tourism)

< Previous | Next >