wormwood / absinthe

< Previous | Next >

foulaal

Arabic - morocco
Good morning every body

in my country -morocco - we use wormwood to make tea , I've invited American friend to my home , and we were talking about Moroccan tea.
I said we make a good tea sometimes with mint and sometimes with wormwood.
then he said no it's not
wormwood it's absinthe
Which one is correct !?

thanks and have a nice day !

• entangledbank

English - South-East England
    Wormwood is the plant. In everyday use absinthe only means the intensely alcoholic green drink made from wormwood; so your tea is very unlikely to contain absinthe.

Stoggler

UK English
    They're not one and the same, and Wiki doesn't say they are the same. Absinthe is a drink where wormwood is one of the ingredients.

Tea with wormwood/wormwood tea appears a lot on the internet, that seems to be how it is known; it is not absinthe.

I think people would soon notice the adverse effects of tea with wormwood if it were the same as absinthe...

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    Perhaps usage in the US is different, and both terms are current for the plant. I see this from the American Heritage Dictionary:

Absinthe
    A perennial aromatic Eurasian herb (Artemisia absinthium) in the composite family, naturalized in North America and having pinnatifid, silvery, silky leaves and numerous nodding flower heads. Also called wormwood.

Our Collins Dictionary too has it down as another name for wormwood.

Myridon

English - US
    In the US, absinthe with real wormwood in it was illegal for a long time but has recently become available again, but there are still absinthe liqueurs that have no wormwood in them. The plant (or a relative of it) is grown as an ornamental but it's called artemisia.
    I've never heard "absinthe" used for the plant probably because until recently the only time the plant would have been discussed in the US was in relation to the liqueur. "Does this absinthe have any absinthe in it?" would be an odd sort of conversation. ;)

< Previous | Next >