Korean-Korea
The most important item of all, probably, although it made so little

show, was a certain broomstick, on which Mother Rigby had taken many an

airy gallop at midnight, and which now served the scarecrow by way of a

spinal column, or, as the unlearned phrase it, a backbone. One of its

arms was a disabled flail which used to be wielded by Goodman Rigby,

before his spouse worried him out of this troublesome world; the other,

if I mistake not, was composed of the pudding stick and a broken rung

of a chair, tied loosely together at the elbow.

it's from 'Feathertop' by Nathaniel Hawthorne. <1852>

I find the phrase 'worry someone out' seems not to be in use any more, after I checked a few dictionaries.

I simply can't figure it out, but I may guess it 'have someone pass away' or something. I am not sure.

Please help me understand this difficult phrase !

<Bold removed. Cagey, moderator.>

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Copyright

American English
    Yes, it sounds like "killed him with her worries."

It would be great if you could format any text you copy for easier readability ... and less boldness:

The most important item of all, probably, although it made so little show, was a certain broomstick, on which Mother Rigby had taken many an airy gallop at midnight, and which now served the scarecrow by way of a spinal column, or, as the unlearned phrase it, a backbone. One of its arms was a disabled flail which used to be wielded by Goodman Rigby, before his spouse worried him out of this troublesome world; the other, if I mistake not, was composed of the pudding stick and a broken rung of a chair, tied loosely together at the elbow.

Source: 'Feathertop' by Nathaniel Hawthorne. <1852>

Last edited:

booklover.jay

Korean-Korea
    Yes, it sounds like "killed him with her worries."

It would be great if you could format any text you copy for easier readability ... and less boldness:

The most important item of all, probably, although it made so little show, was a certain broomstick, on which Mother Rigby had taken many an airy gallop at midnight, and which now served the scarecrow by way of a spinal column, or, as the unlearned phrase it, a backbone. One of its arms was a disabled flail which used to be wielded by Goodman Rigby,
    before his spouse worried him out of this troublesome world; the other, if I mistake not, was composed of the pudding stick and a broken rung of a chair, tied loosely together at the elbow.

Source: 'Feathertop' by Nathaniel Hawthorne. <1852>
    Thank you so much. I would pay more attention to my text format from now on.

< Previous | Next >