Worrying / worrisome

XInTheDark

English - Singapore
My sentence is: “What is _____ for the police most is that the goal of the terrorists this time is to attack foreign tourists.”
Should I use “worrying” or “worrisome” here? (Both can be used as adjectives.)

However, Cambridge Dictionary defines “worrisome” as “worrying”, so I don’t know how to differentiate the two. Anyone can help?
Reference: Cambridge Dictionary - “worrisome”

• entangledbank

English - South-East England
    'Worrisome' is a rather literary word, and probably wouldn't be used in conversation or in a news item like that. I think it also might be more habitual, not used for just one worrying incident.

Chasint

English - England
    They are both correct. I have a suspicion that "worrisome" is used a little more often in American English than in British English. This is confirmed to a degree by looking at Google nGrams for the words.

American English: Google Books Ngram Viewer

British English: Google Books Ngram Viewer

You will notice that, in both types of English, "worrisome" is much less frequent.

XInTheDark

English - Singapore
    'Worrisome' is a rather literary word, and probably wouldn't be used in conversation or in a news item like that. I think it also might be more habitual, not used for just one worrying incident.
    Thanks! Just asking though, if the sentence is in rather formal contexts, is there any difference in the meanings of the words?
    I came across the sentence above in a vocabulary practice book and the answer was “worrisome”, although the two words are supposed to have similar or same meanings.

They are both correct. I have a suspicion that "worrisome" is used a little more often in American English than in British English. This is confirmed to a degree by looking at Google nGrams for the words.

American English: Google Books Ngram Viewer

British English: Google Books Ngram Viewer

You will notice that, in both types of English, "worrisome" is much less frequent.
    Hmm... I searched up “worrying” and “worrisome” in All types of English and saw that “worrying” was used much more frequently. But this might also be because “worrying” can also be used as a verb.
    -Ngram

dojibear

English (US - northeast)
    In my opinion you can use both words, but should change the sentence slightly:

What is _____ for the police most is that the goal...
    What is worrying the police most is that the goal...
    What is most worrisome for the police is that the goal...

As you can see, I am using "worrying" as a verbal form, which is more natural (to me) than using it as an adjective. If "worrying" is an adjective then "most" should come before the adjective:

What is most worrying for the police is that the goal...

hamlet

Français (FR)
    In my opinion you can use both words, but should change the sentence slightly:

What is _____ for the police most is that the goal...
    What is worrying the police most is that the goal...
    What is most worrisome for the police is that the goal...

As you can see, I am using "worrying" as a verbal form, which is more natural (to me) than using it as an adjective. If "worrying" is an adjective then "most" should come before the adjective:

What is most worrying for the police is that the goal...
    Wouldn't the first sentence sound better with "the most" instead of just "most"?
    :arrow:What is worrisome for the police the most is that the goal...

kentix

English - U.S.
    I agree that the grammar of the original sentence is a bit clunky.

The two ngrams plotted together. My guess is the worrisome difference is not statistically significant.

Screenshot_20221124-215649.png