worse than the men

Ali Smith

Urdu - Pakistan
שלום

My textbook contains the following phrase in the exercises: worse then the men

Which translation is more appropriate for classical Hebrew?

רע מן־האנשים
רשע מן־האנשים

I put the מַקֵּף‎ (also known as מַקָּף) there because I think it's required.

אני מודה לכם מאוד

• Ali Smith

Urdu - Pakistan
    I don't really know the authorial intent here. The French edition has pire que les hommes while the German edition has schlimmer als die Männer.

Ali Smith

Urdu - Pakistan
    Thanks! I might add that my textbook translate רע as 'wicked, evil, bad' while it translates רשע as 'evil, bad, criminal'.

Drink

English - New England, Russian - Moscow
    Yes there is a lot of overlap in the meanings. But רשע always has a connotation of evil or wickedness (meaning even when it is translated as "bad", it means "bad" in the sense of "evil" or "wicked"). Whereas רע does not always have that connotation.

slus

Hebrew - Israel
    Is this a textbook for teaching Biblical Hebrew?
    Because in modern Hebrew worse is יותר גרוע.

Ali Smith

Urdu - Pakistan
    slus: Yes, it is. I have never come across the word גרוע in classical (biblical) Hebrew!

Drink: It seems you were right, for my German textbook translates רע as 'schlecht' and רשע as 'frevlerisch'. Thanks again!

Ali Smith

Urdu - Pakistan
    Drink: But today I came across the phrase העיר הרעה, meaning "wicked city". Would not העיר הרשעה have been a better translation for "wicked city"? I came across this phrase in a biblical Hebrew textbook.

Drink

English - New England, Russian - Moscow
    Hebrew is not merely a translation of English. It's its own language. So you can't ask "But would X have been a better translation of English Y?" Because it's not a translation. It's a native phrase.

That aside, please reread my previous comment carefully to clear up any confusion.

Ali Smith

Urdu - Pakistan
    Thank you, Drink! I just noticed that one of my textbooks says:

רָשָׁע bezeichnet (typischerweise) die Eigenschaft von Personen, רָע von Personen oder Sachen.

רָשָׁע describes (typically) the characteristic of people, רָע that of people or things.

Ali Smith

Urdu - Pakistan
    Lehrbuch Bibel Hebräisch by Lambdin. The translator is Heinrich von Siebenthal. It was originally written in English.