worth vs. be worth

Koyle

French/France(Montpellier)
Hi,

Could someone tell me the difference in the use of the worth and be worth.
For example: It doesn't worth to do that vs. It isn't worth to do that
Thanks

Loïc

• Koyle

Hi Franglais,
    Thanks for correcting. But what about the difference of meaning between worth and be worth.

Wordreference gives both translation for the french verb "valoir".
    I heard "worth" as a verb used sometimes but it seems that "be worth" is used more often (because you're worth it).
    Is there any rule/situation that makes athe difference?
    In what situation should I say: "It isn't worth doing that"
    and in what situation should I say "It doesn't worth doing that".

Some people argued to me that the second one doesn't exist but since I heard it said and moreover that Wordreference mention it I would like to find out exactly is correct.

meleeri

USA, English
    My question is whom/where did you hear it from? Was it a native english speaker? I can't think of a situation where it would make sense too say it "doesn't worth" something.

However, if there were such a situation, the difference would be (hypothetically) that it isn't worth something gives the value of whatever it is, and it doesn't worth something would mean the process of making itself valuable in whatever way.

But, again, you would never use it that way, becuase the phrase is "to be worth" something, and "worth" is a quality, not an action. Unless you are purposely messing around with language for the fun of it, or to make a point, or something.

Franglais1969

English English, français rouillé
    Okay, let me try to explain.

To be worth generally indicates the value of something.

e.g.

That ring is worth 500 Euros.

It isn't worth doing means that if you try to do it, it will end in a negative result.

e.g. It isn't worth driving that car, because it has no engine.

J'espère que vous comprenez. :)

Koyle

worth is not used as a verb (like valoir)

Hi

Again, that is my point: Wordreference gives 2 translation of valoir.
    (ww.wordreference.com/fren/valoir)

Also Wordreference gives in the list of expressions:
    "worth its weight in gold" when it previously gives "be worth your while" which would confirm the use of worth as a verb and not as an adjective, am I wrong?

Of course, I heard it said by were native english speakers but I don't mean they couldn't be wrong; French also do a lot of mistake in their own language.

I'm just trying to figure out why I have heard it and why it appears in Wordreference. May it be a mistake in Wordreference? Unfortunately, I haven't a nice and big reference dictionnary to double-check that's why I'm posting on the forum.

wildan1

Moderando ma non troppo (French-English, CC Mod)
    Again, that is my point: Wordreference gives 2 translation of valoir.
    (ww.wordreference.com/fren/valoir)

I'm just trying to figure out why I have heard it and why it appears in Wordreference. May it be a mistake in Wordreference? Unfortunately, I haven't a nice and big reference dictionnary to double-check that's why I'm posting on the forum.
    Hi Koyle, I feel your pain!

WR isn't wrong, and we native speakers are not wrong either.

Here's the WR entry for worth

worth adj (having the value of) valoir vi
    That house is not worth the price that they are asking.Cette maison ne vaut pas le prix qu'ils demandent.

worth adj (it merits) valoir vtr
    Is it even worth doing?Est-ce que ça vaut le coup de le faire ?

worth adj(person, company) valoir vi
    She is worth over five hundred million dollars.Elle vaut plus de cinq cent millions de dollars.
    In all cases the " verbe intransitif (vi) " valoir has as an equivalent the adjective worth used in examples with to be

I would just say that it would be more "user-friendly" if the English equivalent were presented as "to be worth"

Hope that makes it clearer!

PS I see on the French-English side an option that makes no sense
    valoir = worth (vtr).
    That option is WRONG.

Koyle

AAAAAH Thank you Wildan!

So, this option is wrong! That's clear now!:)

I will maybe try to find if there is anything we can do about that...

< Previous | Next >