Worth

< Previous | Next >

Taghreed

Arabic
Dear all,
I have seen in the forum and in Google lots of explanation for "worth usage" , yet it threw me into more confusion! I do realize that 'worth' is an adjective but what I can't understand is that it is sometimes preceded by 'is' and sometimes it's not! which form is correct, and why? here is an example:

Nothing is worth saying about it.
Nothing worth saying about it.

Thanks

• owlman5

English-US
    I don't understand your examples, Taghreed. "Nothing is worth saying about it" doesn't make any sense to me.

"Nothing is worth risking your life for" makes sense. That means that your life is more precious than anything else you could possibly gain by risking it.

I don't understand "nothing worth" without a verb, either. Sometimes people delete "there is" when they say something like "there is nothing worth risking your life for". That would look like this: "nothing worth risking your life for". Is this what you are thinking of?

Where did you find the two sentences in your examples? Did you invent them or did you find them in some text?

Last edited:

Taghreed

Arabic
    Hi Owl, no I haven't invented it :)

Look at the title of this article:
    http://jaiarjun.blogspot.com/2009/02/nothing-worth-saying-is-inoffensive-to.html

but may be it's correct becasue there is a verb "is" before 'inoffensive'..

What I understood from your answer is that : (Nothing is worth risking my life for, and there is nothing worth risking my life for ) are both correct ?

so, does it make sense to say: there is nothing worth saying about myself?

Thank you a bunch

e2efour

UK English
    "It's not worth saying anything about it" is what you might say if you bought a television for a bargain price of 1 euro and when you got home it exploded after one minute. It's not worth complaining about it. This sentence seems to be equivalent to "Nothing is worth saying about it", which you might say if someone asked what you thought about a book you had just read.

It may not sound a very natural thing to say, as Owlman obviously thinks.

Myridon

English - US
    (There is) Nothing worth saying about it.
    This would be the normal form of this sentence.
    (For my comment on this post, I might have written the sentence fragment "The normal form of this sentence." as the same sort of ellision.)

owlman5

English-US
    Hi Owl, no I haven't invented it :)

Look at the title of this article:
    http://jaiarjun.blogspot.com/2009/02/nothing-worth-saying-is-inoffensive-to.html

but may be it's correct becasue there is a verb "is" before 'inoffensive'..

What I understood from your answer is that : (Nothing is worth risking my life for, and there is nothing worth risking my life for ) are both correct ? Yes, Taghreed. Both of those statements make sense to me.

so, does it make sense to say: there is nothing worth saying about myself? That one makes sense also. :)

Thank you a bunch
    "It's not worth saying anything about it" is what you might say if you bought a television for a bargain price of 1 euro and when you got home it exploded after one minute. It's not worth complaining about it. This sentence seems to be equivalent to "Nothing is worth saying about it", which you might say if someone asked what you thought about a book you had just read.

It may not sound a very natural thing to say, as Owlman obviously thinks.
    Thank you, E2E Four. Your explanation shed much light on a formerly murky topic.

Taghreed

Arabic
    Owlman, why the first sentence is incorrect and the second is correct? the context?? the first doesn't make sense while the second does?

Nothing is worth saying about it
    Nothing is worth risking my life for

Thanks

owlman5

English-US
    Hello, Taghreed. If I were saying this, I'd probably say "My life isn't worth talking about". That one would be much easier for me to understand.

If you're using "it" to refer to something, I recommend: "It's not worth talking about."

< Previous | Next >