worthless little book

jess oh seven

UK/US English
Can anyone think of any synonyms for "worthless little book"? The context is an author speaking rather sarcastically about a work of his, which he didn't particularly care for.

E.g. I would like to thank the critic for his sumputous glorification of my worthless little book.

I just don't like the sound of "worthless little book" very much, but I can't for the life of me think of anything better.

Thanks!

• panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    I assume you are looking for a phrase that is mildly self-deprecating, or rather sarcastically humble - not something that is an unquestioned insult (like "useless pile of rubbish").

"... my modest literary oeuvre." for example.

Tabac

U. S. - English
    Can anyone think of any synonyms for "worthless little book"? The context is an author speaking rather sarcastically about a work of his, which he didn't particularly care for.

E.g. I would like to thank the critic for his sumputous glorification of my worthless little book.

I just don't like the sound of "worthless little book" very much, but I can't for the life of me think of anything better.

Thanks!
    Given the situation, I think the author has said it perfectly, himself.

winklepicker

English (UK)
    "... my modest literary oeuvre."
    Does that sound like a life's work rather than just one book? Or is it just me?

I would like to thank the critic for his sumptuous glorification of my humble little volume.

I would like to thank the critic for his sumptuous glorification of my pathetic little scribble.

I would like to thank the critic for his sumptuous glorification of my mindless little narrative.

Hey! This is fun!

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    I would like to thank the critic for his generous magnification of my modest pamphlet.

I would like to thank the critic for his kindly inflation of my booklet's merits.

winklepicker

English (UK)
    I would like to thank the critic for his overblown eulogizing of my miserable little tome.

I would like to thank the critic for his sycophantic grandiloquence about my cheesy little tract.

I would like to prostrate myself before the critic in quivering gratitude for his fawning encomium on my ghastly little manuscript.

I would like to kiss the critic's boots in thanks for his lickspittle praise of my nasty little treatise.

:D

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English/Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    I would like to thank the critic for his flattering praise of my undeserving literary work.

I take it from the first post that the writer seriously considers his work unworthy of the critic's praise. I think in that context the adjective undeserving is quite fitting.

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    I should like to offer most heartfelt gratitude to the generous critic who found but a single fault with my
    simple little autobiography—choice of topic.

jess oh seven

UK/US English
    Thank you all very much :) It was from the Portuguese word "livreco" and for some reason I couldn't think past the dictionary definition. Thanks again!!

< Previous | Next >