Worthy cause

< Previous | Next >

spanishjon

English - UK , Spanish - Peru
Hi all,

How would you say "a worthy cause" in french, as in "to dedicate one's time to a worthy cause"?

An educated guess is "une cause noble" but on another thread regarding "giving to a good cause" I read someone had translated this "bonne cause" putting the adjective in front. I'd be very grateful if someone could clear this up for me.

• AshgarGobinait

English - Britain
    Unfortunately, there is no rule concerning the adjective being in front or after :
    une cause noble/juste
    une bonne cause.
    I believe the general rule in French is that the adjective follows the noun.
    However, as always, there are many exceptions, including all colours and some of the most common adjectives, such as 'bon', 'mauvais', vielle', 'jeune', 'grand', and 'petit'.

As for your particular question, if the chosen adverb is 'bon' then it should go before the noun 'cause', but if it is 'noble' then it follows the rule of following the noun.

I hope this helps :)

Micia93

France French
    generally speaking, if you put the adjective before the noun, like in "une bonne cause", you put the stress on "cause", and the adjective is a bit weakened, has less impact than in "une cause bonne" where the stress is put on the adjectivie "bonne"

< Previous | Next >