would be = is?

Akatsukis170

Japanese
I believe the "would be" is the same as "is" in the following sentences. The reason why the writer uses it is whether he is probaly making a hypothetical?

1. Your question is not grammatically correct. The best way to phrase it would be: What does "arrived" mean in the 'could have' structure in the example above?

2. The sentence would probably be 'I couldn't buy the book for learningEnglish'.

• Kirill V.

Russian
    I guess it takes from: (If you were to re-write it in a correct way,) the best way to phrase it would be: ...

So basically yes, in this context it is equivalent to just saying The best way to phrase it is:...

(Disclaimer: non-native's view:) I'm trying to be careful after a couple of terribly mistaken posts :D)

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    I agree with kayve's suggestion that there is an implied if-clause there. Something along the lines of:
    "Your question is not grammatically correct. [If you were to ask it in a grammatically correct way], the best way to phrase it would be: What does "arrived" mean in the 'could have' structure in the example above?"

The writer could have said "The best way to phrase it is:..." but the conditional 'would be' conveys better the idea that the suggested wording is only one of a number of possible alternatives.

Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    This is a politeness, making the writer sound more modest.

the best way to phrase it is...
    = I am an expert, do it this way!
    the best way to phrase it would be... = This is a suggestion; if you think I'm right, then do it this way