[would be surprised] vs. [would have been surprised]

< Previous | Next >

JJXR

Russian
Hello to all,

Thanks for reading my post.

Context:

I told you today that we would be on the same train together, so if you meet me there tomorrow, you will not be surprised.

Sample sentences:

1. If I hadn't told you today that we would be on the same train together, then if you were to meet me there tomorrow, you would be surprised.

2. If I hadn't told you today that we would be on the same train together, you would have been surprised if you met me there tomorrow.

Question:

Have I used the correct verb tenses?

Thanks a lot for any comments, corrections or suggestions!

Regards,
JJXR

• 1. and 2. are correct in the verbs. I'm sure you're aware that 1. fits the situation where the 'tomorrow' (and the action) is yet to happen.

2. if reworded, fits the situation where it is, at the time of the statement, 'tomorrow' or after and the act has occurred. "if" should probably read "when." And "tomorrow" should read, "the day following." "today" would have to be "that day" or some such.

Last edited:

JJXR

Russian
    Thanks for the response, bennymix.
    1. fits the situation where the 'tomorrow' (and the action) is yet to happen.
    So, if I were to change "would have been surprised" to "would be surprised" in the second sentence, and leave everything else as it stands, would it fit the same situation:

2a. If I hadn't told you today that we would be on the same train together, you would be surprised if you met me there tomorrow.

Thanks for the response, bennymix.

So, if I were to change "would have been surprised" to "would be surprised" in the second sentence, and leave everything else as it stands, would it fit the same situation:

2a. If I hadn't told you today that we would be on the same train together, you would be surprised if you met me there tomorrow.
    Yes, I think you understand the situation.

< Previous | Next >