"would come"

roniy

ISRAEL: Fluent Hebrew ( Speak Russian, Learning English)
If I talk about event that happendin the past for example :

" The people from the great migration would come there"

Is it posibble to say " would come" or just came/have come/had come are possible ????

Thanks.

• clapec

Italian
    I think that 'would come' is used when referring to repeated situations in the past. However, please wait for native speakers ;)

DAH

USA/California--English
    roniy said:
    If I talk about event that happended the past for example :

Is it posibble to say " would come" or just came/have come/had come are possible ????
    Thanks.

The people from the great migration would have come there.
    (I use the past tense because I know that the great migration happened in the not so long ago history of the United States of America.)

But,

The people from the great migration would have gone there.

(I give this example because I'm unsure what it is you are trying to communicate with "come there." It is an odd construction which leads to me to believe that you have made a mistake.)

Best regards!

elroy

Imperfect mod
    US English, Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    roniy said:
    If I talk about event that happendin the past for example :

Thanks.

Roniy,

We need context. "If I talk about an event that happened in the past" is not enough. "Would come" can be used to describe repeated action in the past, but not every action in the past; furthermore, it can be used in the present to refer to a hypothetical situation. If you gave us the context, we would be able to answer your question more knowledgeably.