would go and strain points with her

< Previous | Next >

park sang joon

Korean
The narrator recalls his adolescence.
He stopped by the local undertaker Mr. Omer's place before visiting his old nurse Peggotty's house for her husband Mr. Barkis' impending death.
Mr. Omer tells him about that and the reason why Em'ly is not willing to get married to her fiance Ham.

"Therefore, I mentioned to them," said Mr. Omer, in a comfortable, easy-going tone, "this. I said, 'Now, don't consider Em'ly nailed down in point of time, at all. Make it your own time. Her services have been more valuable than was supposed; her learning has been quicker than was supposed; Omer and Joram can run their pen through what remains; and she's free when you wish. If she likes to make any little arrangement, afterwards, in the way of doing any little thing for us at home, very well. If she don't, very well still. We're no losers, anyhow.' For - don't you see," said Mr. Omer, touching me with his pipe, "it ain't likely that a man so short of breath as myself, and a grandfather too, would go and strain points with a little bit of a blue-eyed blossom, like her?"
[David Copperfield by Charles Dickens]
I'd like to know what "go and strain points with someone" means.
Thank you in advance for your help.

Last edited:
  • PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    "it ain't likely that a man [like me] would go and strain points with [...] her? = "it ain't likely that a man [like me] would try to persuade [...] her [to do something that she seems unready to do]?

< Previous | Next >