would have earned ... since 5 years ago.

< Previous | Next >

I am a Chinese boy

Chinese - China
Please tell me whether the following subjunctive sentence is correct, especially the time added. Thank you everyone!

If I had studied English hard 10 years ago, I would have earned a lot of money by teaching children English 5 years ago.

OR?

If I had studied English hard since 10 years ago, I would have earned a lot of money by teaching children English since 5 years ago.

OR?

If I had studied English hard in 2010, I would have earned a lot of money in 2015.

Which one is correct? Highly appreciating instructions

• owlman5

English-US
    The use of "since" in your second sentence troubles me, Chinese Boy. "Since 10 years ago" and "since 5 years ago" seem odd and unnecessary in that sentence.

The first and third sentences seem okay to me.

aasheq

English (Estuary)
    "Since" is wrong both times in your second sentence. If you want to stress continuity you can say: "If I had studied English hard for the last ten years I could have made a lot of money teaching English for the last five years".

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    Yes, "since" is definitely wrong in version (2) of the sentence. :(

I don't much like the repetiton of "years ago" which comes across to me as awkward and rather clumsy: version (3) using the actual years expresses the time frame a lot more clearly in my opinion.

I am a Chinese boy

Chinese - China
    Yes, "since" is definitely wrong in version (2) of the sentence. :(

I don't much like the repetiton of "years ago" which comes across to me as awkward and rather clumsy: version (3) using the actual years expresses the time frame a lot more clearly in my opinion.
    Many thanks!

lingobingo

English - England
    It does not of course naturally follow that if you’d studied hard you would later have made lots of money. Instead, it would be better to say “could” (= might have [made money teaching]).

< Previous | Next >