would have+ P.P

• Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    Can you give us an example with a complete sentence, please? I for my part can't imagine one; I think it may be impossible.

I've looked at Teddy's example in #2. Is that what you meant? I was thinking of I would have had done that :cross:.

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    No, that is not correct because there is no such verb as "to late". But from your example it seems that you have confused PP="past perfect" with PP="past participle". In Teddy's example, "done" is a past participle.

Hammett Wong

Chinese-Malaysia
    No, that is not correct because there is no such verb as "to late". But from your example it seems that you have confused PP="past perfect" with PP="past participle". In Teddy's example, "done" is a past participle.
    I see. So how may you correct it?

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    You would use the past participle of a verb which gives the meaning you intend. "I would have been late" or "I would have arrived late".
    The other part of course needs to be in a false conditional: "if it had been raining". The idea here is that it was not in fact raining, and so I was not late.
    The "would have + PP" construction is used to describe a consequence that did not happen.