would have

dojibear

AE (US English)
I am not sure how to say "Since you succeeded there, you would have succeeded here too."

我觉得现在中国的大学比美国的难。因为你毕业于中国第40名的大学,所以你也在美国大学里能成功

But in English this says "you can succeed" (future real) instead of "you would have succeeded" (past imaginary).
Is there a better way to express this? Should I use 如果 / 就 instead?

• Vincent Tam

Chinese and Cantonese
    既然你能毕业于中国第40名的大学,那么你也能在美国大学里成功(or 取得成功)

既然,,,,,那么,,,,,

既然你是大学生,那么小学的题目就肯定难不倒你了!

Skatinginbc

Mandarin 國語
    I would have called you, but I couldn't find your number. 我本會打電話給你可是我找不到你的號碼 (所以沒打)。

If I had known it was you calling, I would have picked up the phone. 要是知道是你打來的,我就會電話 (沒接, 因為不知道是你打來的)。

A: Why do you think she probably had been killed by then?
    B: Since she knew I was going to call her at that exact time, she would have picked up the phone. But I tried several times and nobody answered. Something must have happened to her. 她既然知道我在那確切時點會打電話給她,就應會電話。可是我試了好幾次,都沒人接, 她必定出了什麼岔子。
    换作是美国的大学,你必定也已经成功(毕业)了。
    :thumbsup: OR a slightly different version: 换作在美国的話,你必定也已成功毕了业。

Last edited:

SimonTsai

Taiwanese Mandarin
    我觉得现在中国的大学比美国的难。因为你毕业于中国第40名的大学,所以你也在美国大学里能成功。
    Your sentence doesn't really sound good, and is sort of confusing. I guess that you meant,

I think that studying at a Chinese university requires more effort than in the US. Now you have graduated from a Chinese university ranked 40th there, you would have been able in the US too.

The context may be one where the speaker is trying to build the self-confidence of a Chinese who has never studied abroad and is feeling inferior to those who have studied in the US.

In that case you may say,

其實在中國讀大學,比起在美國,課業更重。你在中國都能畢業,要是在美國,畢業肯定不是問題。喝過洋墨水不見得就比較了不起。
    But in English this says "you can succeed" (future real) instead of "you would have succeeded" (past imaginary).
    You are asking how to differentiate the subjunctive from the indicative. Well, you may have noticed, instead of making the distinction in grammar mood explicit, I left it implied and people can know that. How? From the context, we know that the speaker is not encouraging the other man to go abroad, and the other man is not planning or going to study in the US. Were the context to be different, it could be indicative.
    ... 你本来会在美国大学里是成功的。
    I am sorry, but this does sound awkward, and it means something else: It means you actually failed. (You'd have succeeded and been a shining star if you had studied hard as you used to. It was you that made you a loser.)
    这部分谈论未来,对吗?
    Yes, you are right. @retrogradedwithwind's sentence is in the indicative.

Last edited:

Oswinw011

Chinese
    "Since you succeeded there, you would have succeeded here too."
    Hi, I would translate it into:既然你在中国那边都成功了,当时你要是在这儿读书的话也会成功的. I think it would be clearer to me with the time frame pointed out this way.

dojibear

AE (US English)
    Thanks for all the suggestions, and for all the new ideas. For me, each suggestion is a lesson, teaching me ways that authentic speakers talk and think.

我越来越学会用中文思考。