'would rather do than/ would just as soon do'

JAVA090

azerbaijani
" I would just as soon die as marry you" or " I would rather die than marry you"
Choosing appropriate phrase i have got stuck which one to prefer, Help me with choice
Thanks in advance

• bibliolept

AE, Español
    Any context you can provide would be handy, but I can point to one difference between these two dramatic statements. "Just as soon" suggests that both choices are equal, and presumably undesirable. The other phrasing literally states that the speaker would prefer death to that marriage.

perpend

Banned
    American English
    Context does lack, but they are equal (both statements), in my vernacular, bibliolept.

Both mean, for me: ... prefer death over marriage ...

JAVA090

azerbaijani
    I am sorry for not be able to provide any context, it was my sentence i made up to single out difference between two these phrases, because they seem to have the same meanings. But i would say i always prefer second phrase to first one. So then what is your suggestion? which one do you think i should prefer?

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    The first is a little colloquial. If you're making a grand gesture, "I'd rather die than betray my country", is more appropriate than "I'd just as soon die as betray my country".

perpend

Banned
    American English
    Of course I can reach a hand across the pond. Maybe it just sounds more familiar (by that I mean more normal) to an AmE speaker? I can see where it sounds odd to a BrE speaker.

I may get this from my Irish grandmother.

"just as soon" sounds quite normal to me.

< Previous | Next >