Would + simple past verb

Poland91pl

Polish
Hello. I was watching an interview with Beyonce. The interviewer asked her "how would your mom have handled you and your sisters if you had been in a car arguing"? " and she replied" I was thinking about it I was watching it... My mother'd definitely RAN away and she'd definitely told me Holla " why ran not would've run? Is it OK in speech?

• The Newt

English - US
    "I was thinking about it I was watching it... My mother'd definitely RAN away and she'd definitely told me Holla" doesn't make a lot of sense without more context, but the use of "ran" rather than "run" is probably just the kind of error we make when we're talking a bit faster than we can think.

owlman5

English-US
    It is a common mistake to use have/had ran:confused:, even among native English-speakers, Poland91pl. I don't recommend that you copy it. Use have/had run. :thumbsup: You already know that this is standard English.

cross-posted with The Newt.

Poland91pl

Polish
    It is a common mistake to use have/had ran:confused:, even among native English-speakers, Poland91pl. I don't recommend that you copy it. Use have/had run. :thumbsup: You already know that this is standard English.

cross-posted with The Newt.
    Just asking because I've heard it many times in song. Phrases like ' I Would've saw " for instance.

tunaafi

English - British (Southern England)
    Don't expect good grammar from songs. Rhyme, Rhythm and vernacular idiom are far more important than grammar - or even sense.

< Previous | Next >