Would you say Jack was a brunette? [or brunet?]

• AngelEyes

English - United States
    I agree with Teddy and Thomas.

I would use dark-haired for this man.

Even if you added a masculine term like rugged-looking brunette, it still creates confusion in the reader's mind, I think.

AngelEyes

nichec

Chinese(Taiwan)/English(AE)
    I agree with Teddy. If you describe a man as a brunette you should expect people to assume you are homosexual.
    I suspect this has something to do with the fact that brunette ends with ette, which means literally, in French, something/someone little.

For example, Nicolette is "little Nicole".

And it just sounds odd to refer to a man as "little brown head".

So, nichec is a brunette, but TT is dark-haired. (oh well, at least I hope so :D)

MarX

Banned
    Indonesian, Indonesia
    Hi!

I wouldn't mind calling any guy brunet (not brunette), but even for females I personally prefer saying brown haired instead.

Groetjes,

MarX

vicky1027

usa english
    I agree with all the above, brunette is used for a woman (brunet is never used).

For a man I would say "he has brown hair"

In AE, we wouldn't say brown-haired or "dark haired" it's always "brown hair" or "dark hair".

rainbow84uk

English, UK
    In BE I'd most commonly say "He has brown/dark hair", rather than "He is brown-/dark-haired", but I would describe someone as "a dark-haired man", for example.

Cypherpunk

US, English
    On a very few occasions, I've seen brunet used to describe men or boys, while brunette is used to describe women or girls. I wouldn't consider brunet common or current usage, though.

HypotheticalPenguins

English--Eastern United States
    I certainly haven't ever used brunet, or seen it used, and when I saw your post I was momentarily confused about the word.

I have seen "brunette" used towards men, even though it has the feminine ending. Because we borrow from so many different languages, English is a bit haphazard. We don't assign nouns gender, so when we borrow a word like this I think we tend to ignore the gender of it. Certainly no one I know differs between "blond" and "blonde".

< Previous | Next >