wouldn't miss ....for anything....

< Previous | Next >

celine713

Chinese
Hi, everyone,

Rachel Halliday, just as she sits there in her little rocking-chair. It had a turn for quacking and squeaking,--that chair had,--either from having taken cold in early life, or from some asthmatic affection, or perhaps from nervous derangement; but, as she gently swung backward and forward, the chair kept up a kind of subdued "creechy crawchy," that would have been intolerable in any other chair. But old Simeon Halliday often declared it was as good as any music to him, and the children all avowed that they wouldn't miss of hearing mother's chair for anything in the world.
link here

wouldn't miss ....for anything....
what does this sentence mean according to the lines?
Thanks!

• chesty

english
    Hello.

It means they liked hearing of mother's chair very, very, very, very much indeed.

celine713

Chinese
    Hello.

It means they liked hearing of mother's chair very, very, very, very much indeed.
    Yeah I know that, but I am unfarmiliar with the expression" miss....for anything...= would rather miss any other thing but hearing the sound of the rocking chair? Sorry for my poor grammar...

chesty

english
    Hello.

It works like this:

'I wouldn't miss X for the world' means that if I were offered a choice between 'seeing X' and having 'the world', then I would choose 'seeing X'.

Does this help?

< Previous | Next >