"Wow, so bustling/active" (describe active chattings in an online group)

< Previous | Next >

xuliang

Chinese Mandarin
It's an online chat group where people there all speak English (they communicate by sending audio messages or text messages everyone can hear or see). Most of the time, few people speak (You see few audio or text messages). One day, I logged in and found a lot of messages ; they were still chatting actively. I wanted to say something to the group "Wow, so bustling. What are you chatting about?"

For the part in bold, I intended to say there were so many chattings; they were so active; something like that. I am not sure if it's common or natural. I would like to hear what native speakers often say in this situation. Does "active" work here?

A similar situation is as below:
One day you were invited to a party; you knew most of the people there. When you arrived, a group of friends were chatting or discussing something; (they might not notice your arrival); you came over to them and said something like "Hey, so bustling here, what are you discussing". I know it's odd to say "bustling" here. I would like to know what you say here to imply the active environment .

Thank you.

• Barque

Banned
    Tamil
    In the first situation, you might hear: The group seems very active today! What's going on? (I see you've yourself used something similar in your description.)

The party situation: It would depend a lot on the actual situation but, assuming you know those people well, I'd expect to hear something like: What are you people so busy talking about?

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    The group at the party are acting animated. But it would be odd to walk up and tell them they looked animated, or excited, or anything. It would be more normal to just say "Hey, what are you talking about?" Any further comment should be about the topic they are talking about.

Edit: Barque's "What are you so busy talking about?" is a great way to say you noticed their animation, but say it casually and using a sentence about the conversation topic.

< Previous | Next >