Wragby doesn’t wink an eyelid

longxianchen

chinese

Hi,
Here are some words from the novel Lady Chatterley's Lover( page 262, chapter 13) by Lawrence (planetebook,here):
He stopped and looked round at the facade of the long, low old brown house.
Wragby doesn’t wink an eyelid!’ he said. ‘But then why should it! I ride upon the achievements of the mind of man, and that beats a horse.’

What's the meaning of the sentence in blue please? I can't find it fits the context, so I guess it must have a special meaning. Detailedly, the purple part can't explain why it should wink, and they even don't have logical link in my eye.

Could you please give me some
Thank you

• PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    Wragby doesn’t wink an eyelid!’ = ‘Wragby doesn’t react at all <to the situation>!’

This is personification of Wragby Hall and the usual phrase is "to not bat an eyelid" = to not give even the slightest reaction; to remain disinterested; to remain emotionally unmoved.

See bat an eyelid/ - WordReference.com Dictionary of English at the penultimate entry.

Glasguensis

Signal Modulation
    English - Scotland
    He is saying that the building seems unmoved by the fact that he is in a motorised chair rather than on a horse. He then explains why it should not be shocking even if the building were capable of reacting.

longxianchen

chinese
    Thank you.
    I seem to have understood it: If it bats an eyelid, that means it's unhappy. But it shouldn't bat an eyelid, because motorised chair is better than horses.

longxianchen

chinese
    I think I really understand it this time:
    Normally, souls ride horse to heaven, so when people sees Clifford riding a motorized chair, they are likely to be surprised or shocked. However, the building doesn't have reaction, but even if it can react, it shouldn't, because the machine chair is better than horse.:D

Myridon

English - US
    Souls only ride in a chariot (something pulled behind two horses) in Plato's allegory. I don't know of any modern religion that believes that.
    The bit about Plato comes after this in something the other person says so it's not part of what he's thinking at this time.

< Previous | Next >