wrangle certain kinds of workers under a single umbrella

< Previous | Next >
  • The Newt

English - US
    "Wrangle" also means to round up cattle or other livestock, so the idea here is "to bring together," possibly by persuasion.

Winstanley808

Banned
    English - U.S.
    Sounds to me like the "Freelancers Union" is treating people like cattle.:(

Hollywood movie productions have "wranglers" to manage all kinds of animals, including insects (no kidding; if there were a scene in which a bunch of cockroaches played a role, the credits would list an "insect wrangler"), so perhaps the implication is that freelancers are insects.:eek:

Myridon

English - US
    My reading: All the workers' jobs ("kinds of workers") do not naturally fit the category ("a single umbrella") of the union at a certain place of employment. The organization does things (wrangles) to make the jobs "appear" to fit into the category so that the workers themselves can be included in the union.

The Newt

English - US
    My reading: All the workers' jobs ("kinds of workers") do not naturally fit the category ("a single umbrella") of the union at a certain place of employment. The organization does things (wrangles) to make the jobs "appear" to fit into the category so that the workers themselves can be included in the union.
    Right, there's an element of struggle or effort involved in bringing them together.

Myridon

English - US
    Right, there's an element of struggle or effort involved in bringing them together.
    The workers are not wrangled directly. I'm saying that their jobs are made to fit. Just as a random example, the place of employment only negotiates with the Steelworkers Union. The organization convinces the Steelworkers Union that janitors are somehow acceptable members. A "kind of worker" is a job, not a person.

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    It seems to me that this like a problem of union demarcation. Firms sometimes have trouble when they employ workers from different unions; an agreement with one union will not affect all of the workers.

An answer may be to try to push workers into the same union or federation of unions (umbrella?), so that the arrangements struck between management and workers' representatives will apply to everyone, and thus avoid the need for further separate negotiations.

This is looking at the question from the individual freelance worker's point of view. If he can become affiliated to an organisation which can negotiate for people like him, he will be in a stronger position when dealing with companies, or state or federal departments.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >