Wreck/Wreckage/Debris/Rubble

< Previous | Next >

Robx

Spanish - Mexico
I'm confused about the difference about those words. Correct me if I'm wrong.

- Wreck: It's something (a car, a ship, a building) that was destroyed but it still can be recognized. It doesn't refer necessarily to the remains but the destroyed object.

- Wreckage: Similar to wreck but it's not recognizable anymore.

- Debris: It's the set of small pieces (leftovers) that formed something (car, building, ship, airplane)

- Rubble: It refers to an old/abandoned/demolished building.

• Chris K

English / US
    I'm confused about the difference about those words. Correct me if I'm wrong.

- Wreck: It's something (a car, a ship, a building) that was destroyed but it still can be recognized. It doesn't refer necessarily to the remains but the destroyed object.

- Wreckage: Similar to wreck but it's not recognizable anymore.

- Debris: It's the set of small pieces (leftovers) that formed something (car, building, ship, airplane)

- Rubble: It refers to an old/abandoned/demolished building.
    That's more or less on target. "Wreckage" can probably be recognizable; it's more a question of whether you perceive it as a single object or an uncountable mass. But it's just a matter of emphasis.

Perrito

Estats Units, anglès
    Rubble/Debris/Wreckage/= Restos/Escombros/Ruinas de algo.

Wreck= verbo: (to wreck)/sustantivo: accidente/choque de un coche o en realidad cualquier cosa. (Wreck of a building, me parece que no)

Chris K

English / US
    Rubble/Debris/Wreckage/= Restos/Escombros/Ruinas de algo.

Wreck= verbo: (to wreck)/sustantivo: accidente/choque de un coche o en realidad cualquier cosa. (Wreck of a building, me parece que no)
    I'll throw one more word into the mix: "hulk." There was nothing left of the building but a vine-covered hulk.

Perrito

Estats Units, anglès
    Muy interesante, Chris_K. ¡Gracias por eneseñarme(nos) algo nuevo! Robx, para no confundirte, aprende mejor las otras palabras, porque son más comunes, después puedes dominar esta palabra si crees que es necesario! :)

< Previous | Next >