wrecked me afresh

Malk

Portuguese Brazil
What does the expression "wrecked me afresh" mean in the following statement, "The insights Tim Keller has about the two individuals in the story, and about the heart of the God who loves them both, wrecked me afresh" (from a book testimonial). Thanks for any help. :)

• pob14

American English
    It probably means “made me sad all over again,” but some context might help. What story? What happens in the story? What do you mean by “testimonial” - a review, a cover blurb, something else?

Malk

Portuguese Brazil
    Thanks for taking the time to help. I use "testimonial" in the sense of an endorsement offered by a famous person or celebrity who praises the quality of a book. The story is a classic known as The Prodigal Son (a parable found in the Gospel of Luke, chapter 15). Testimonials, in this sense, are always favorable statements, and are not intended to make the reader "sad all over again", since "The Prodigal Son" parable highlights themes like repentance, acceptance, forgiveness and unconditional love, great joy and things alike. However, I may be missing some subtlety or nuance of meaning. :)

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    The insight that Tim Keller has about the two individuals in the story and the heart of the God who loves them both... it is not much of an overstatement to say I read that and God wrecked me afresh.
    The Prodigal God

If that is the source, you haven't quoted correctly.

I'd say the pastor means that after reading the book he was overwhelmed once more by God. He was evidently profoundly affected by the book.

Malk

Portuguese Brazil
    Thank you, Velisarius, for your help. I think your suggestion makes all the sense in the context. BTW, the source for my quote is the printed book and I have quoted ipsissima verba. Your source (the author's web site) offers a more complete context and that helps a lot. Ευχαριστώ.

< Previous | Next >